4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The yellow wire should be at the headlight switch in the dash. On my '96, it's also the wire that runs to the DRL module and provides signal for the module to operate the DRL relay.

The thing I liked about the store bought harness method is that you can always just unplug it and put the truck back to normal. I went with an LMC harness since it was only $30, but I put in my own relays and relay receptacles, some quality headlight connectors, and added the diode. $30 for a harness DIY starter kit wasn't bad at all. You like the Hella relays, but I went with Bosch. Either one is good.

https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0332209150

https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0332019150

I notice the headlight switch comes before the multi function switch in diagrams. Dumb question: Does the original yellow wire need to be kept intact (tapped into) in order for the multi-switch (high beam selector) or anything else to stay functional? If so, I'll want to get one of the better alternatives to those nasty Scotchlok connectors. My '89 doesn't doesn't DRLs of course.

Or would I just cut it and run my new wire from whichever end of the yellow is hot when the headlight switch is turned on?

Perhaps if I look behind the switch at its wiring harness I'd know more. And obviously I could cut it and test all of this but that wouldn't be ideal if it turned out I shouldn't have cut it. Just wanting to know what to expect first.

Just did an idling voltage drop test on the low beams since I can reach the backside of their connectors without removing anything. I tested the total circuit at two locations (at both lights.) The passenger's side reveals about 2.1 volts lost, using of course the battery. The driver's side was a little less, about 1.8 volts lost, using a power point I'd installed on the firewall that has a direct line to the battery with 10ga wire.

So calling this a 2v drop, I'm losing about 40% of my light output according to various Internet Facts™ (14v lumens output "1356" versus 12v lumens output "803" for a halogen). The truth is probably somewhere in between that amount of loss.

BlackLion

Reaction score
Hello, All.

I have searched the internet, seen many methods, and am completely confused!!

This is for a 1999 Tahoe, I know it's the 88-98 forums, but It's Monday.

What is the best method to achieve the 4-High Headlight Mod? Is it 1) attach a wire to the ground side of the lowbeams and ground to the chassis? or 2) wire up relays, etc?

Please advise, and a link to a write-up with legible diagrams and pictures is appreciated.

Thank you in advance, like I said, it's a Monday.

James

UPDATE: Found Daniel Stern's site......

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the best method to achieve the 4-High Headlight Mod? Is it 1) attach a wire to the ground side of the lowbeams and ground to the chassis?
The ground side of the low beams is already grounded. Adding another ground doesn't change anything.

or 2) wire up relays, etc?
I don't know '99, but I suspect it's not much different from any of the others. Yeah, relay(s) and a diode.

You may have to dick with the DRLs so they don't trigger the relay and put the headlights on full-brightness during the daytime. DRLs are hateful enough as-is, they surely don't need to be even brighter and more annoying. This assumes that the '99 uses headlights for DRLs, of course.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Just make sure the original grounds are making good contact. If you ever see one side dimmer than the other you can bet it`s the ground. I usually clean mine when its time to clean the battery terminals. Same goes for the taillights.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Did this mod today with a relay and some wiring leftover from my Viper install. Everything needed is right at the fuse panel which made things quick and easy. Definitely worth while!

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of integrating fuses for aftermarket accessories into the factory panel for a much cleaner and OEM style setup

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of integrating fuses for aftermarket accessories into the factory panel for a much cleaner and OEM style setup
Which would be fine for most accessories.

In THIS case, you want the headlights protected with self-resetting circuit breakers, not fuses.

The low beams should be on one circuit breaker, the high beams on another.