4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the 6 hi mod on my daily driver lifted 4x4 GMT800 suburban now. It was way easier to install, just a jumper board that dropped in under the relays in the fuse block under the hood, and $20 bucks to boot. Not bad. Four HIR's and the amber cube flood/fog lights in the OEM foglight openings....that **** is like DAYLIGHT.

It's nice that the newer trucks have those pop on boards, makes it easier for anyone to do them. We can only have 4 lights on at one time on the road here in Michigan, or I'd have my fog lights hooked up also. As long as u don't surpas the amp rating of the relay you can add as many lights as you want honestly. Have a 52" curved light bar in the way, going to wire it to come in with the fog lamps, so high beams and fog lamps should light the woods completely up!

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the power from one of the '+' posts at the rear of the fuse block. Ring terminal. Inline fuse in a weather-proof holder.

I didn't want to use a constant power just incase the relay stuck on, then it would kill the battery. If it's a switched source like I used it's impossible to have it stick and kill the battery, relay may stick but with key off it won't have power to run down. Just my two cents tho

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Current running through a string of resistance causes a voltage drop. we all know Ohms law Voltage Drop=I*R. The size and length of a wire affects the resistance. A switch is effectively an infinitely high resistance when open. When the current flows between two points add all the resitance of the items between (wire, bulbs, etc.) the points, multiply by the current and you get the voltage drop between the two points. if you know voltage at one point you can then get the voltage at the second point. If you pull out a bulb (which is like and open switch), then the current is zero, and so by Ohms law the voltage drop is zero. So there will be all of the applied voltage up to the bulb.

Thomas Edison had this same issue with voltage drop when he wanted to run long distances to supply DC power grid. Then along came Tesla with a better idea, make the current oscillate back and forth along the whole distance of the wire. The problem of the voltage drop goes away. And this is why grid power is AC and the little devices we attach Like our TV's, then convert the AC to the DC needed to run them.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in Trade School, the teacher made a big point of describing Voltage Drop as "VD". We understood that in general, VD was to be avoided.

In this particular case, "VD" in small amounts--controlled--is our friend. Just enough, but not too much, gives us brighter headlights than the original wire harness, AND maintains proper service life of the bulbs.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schurkey's post back a few pages back got me thinking about all the relevant ways this mod can be done. I don't know if I have the quote feature working here so here's a link: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/page-47#post-989084

I also like Daniel Stern's piece about upgrading the circuit with relays. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html It's interesting he says there are different U.S. and European ways of stating rated bulb life (he says it's at 14.0v for U.S., not 13.2v ... I highly suspect the truth is somewhere in between those two figures but I'm not going to research H4701 or H4703 bulb tech sheets to find out.) << Mine's an '89.

So right there, your questions are:
1) What's my alternator doing? (A commonly-cited voltage in most vehicles is around 13.8v as being, well, common.)
2) How much of whatever that is, reaches my headlights?
3) What's considered safe, or at least a good compromise between longevity and lumens?

If a certain voltage number is too high for bulb longevity, manufacturers would seem to be building intentional resistance into the design with the happy outcome of being able to spend less money on 18ga is a bonus for all. So long as heat isn't a problem, all is well. But that leaves no wiggle room for corrosion and failing connections. But it also assumes that the full power from the system with engine running is too much. Maybe it's not.

Your wire gauge selection hinges on all of that PLUS the length of the runs. Measure voltage drop, but remember that if you're seeing massive voltage drop with a stock setup, it could just mean your stuff is corroded (but where? at the bulb harness or bulb ground?), not that the original design is "weak" per se. In other words if you overcompensate with huge cable/fresh bulb sockets don't be surprised if your lights burn out fast. Depending on your system output LOL.

At a hypothetical 13.8v, an 18ga wire only needs to pass 4A (per low beam headlight) to deliver 55W if kept to a few feet. It's easy to see why so many people use thicker wire. But consider: a relay at the very front of the truck is only about 2-6 feet from any light.) Are we having fun yet?

Even the simplest, 1-relay method would seem to help the Low beams with a power injection of sorts midway in the circuit. But I'm more drawn to the 2-relay method(s) since the Hi side would also be helped.

I also like the 2 relay method Great White mentioned, where the Lo side is triggered from the yellow switch wire near the dash switch, even though I'd prefer not to have to run another wire through the firewall. But I might go that route (no pun intended) since it eliminates the diode otherwise needed in a 2-relay setup and has the other benefits he mentioned.

I'm settling on these:
Hella H84989011 relay socket
Relay sockets allow you to pull the relay if there's a problem without also unmounting the support since the flange and hole are part of the socket and not the relay. And it's a little neater-looking since the bolt is hidden.

Hella 933332151 5-pin relays with dual 87 taps (NOT the more common "87, 87a") allow you the option of running individual power wires to bulbs and alleviate some stress at the relay since it'd be just one electromechanical contact per bulb. Reliability improvement?

I really wanted to stick with Hella or Bosch, partly because I can track down and the cross reference part # later when replacing. Can't do that with generic or no-name stuff as easily.

Still on the fence about replacing the bulb harness connectors/running wire directly to them. Like I said, part of that voltage drop consideration depends on where the relays are installed.

And yes, neatness and lack of complexity counts for something here. I'll do a voltage drop test and visual inspection meanwhile.

delta_p

Reaction score
I used the two relays and a diode. This way I was working it in at the bench in a chair, not bent up tucking wires under the dash. Diodes was my friend :).

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the two relays and a diode. This way I was working it in at the bench in a chair, not bent up tucking wires under the dash. Diodes was my friend :).

The thing about working upside down in the footwell, is that once yer in there you can just relax on your back. :)

The truth is that if I can't see a yellow wire under there with which to test I may punt on that method. Although I DO need to dig into the dash to fix my busted headlight switch mount (quell surprise ... ) I don't know that I want to have to dig too far in to find where that yellow wire is ... even though it should be right at the switch. Yeah I'm a mess of contradictions.

delta_p

Reaction score
The yellow wire should be at the headlight switch in the dash. On my '96, it's also the wire that runs to the DRL module and provides signal for the module to operate the DRL relay.

The thing I liked about the store bought harness method is that you can always just unplug it and put the truck back to normal. I went with an LMC harness since it was only $30, but I put in my own relays and relay receptacles, some quality headlight connectors, and added the diode. $30 for a harness DIY starter kit wasn't bad at all. You like the Hella relays, but I went with Bosch. Either one is good.

https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0332209150

https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.com/en/product-detail/-/product/0332019150