4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the OEM GM Brazil reflectors on my K1500 Suburban (manufactured for GM Brazil by Arteb: https://www.arteb.com.br/catalogo/?pa_veiculo=silverado ). These illuminate the road like a European "E-code" reflector.

I actually have two pairs of these, one on the Suburban and another on the shelf as a back-up.

Pictures of one of the reflectors are attached.

The low-beam has a broad horizontal pattern with good visibility into the ditches, with a sharp vertical cut-off to mitigate blinding of oncoming traffic.

The high beam has a very pin-point "spot-light" pattern, so the 4-high mod makes for a great set-up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GM01

Reaction score
Finally got around to wiring this up myself with lots of great ideas from the others in this thread. Always thought it looked funny with only the inside high beams on, but now everything's working just how it should have been from the factory and I couldn't be happier. Tapped into power at the panel under the dash so key-on only, to prolong the life of the relay and keep from battery drain. In line 30 amp fuse between there and the relay. Connections to wires are all soldered and heat shrinked, as they should be. After seeing other people's plug n play harnesses go for $150+ I knew that wasn't an option for something I could wire up for $30 in parts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In line 30 amp fuse
Is this wired so the low-beams are on one relay, and the highs on another? Or just one relay to keep the low beams lit when the high beams are on?

1. A "fuse" is a mistake. You should use self-resetting circuit breaker(s). If using two relays, one circuit breaker for high beam and one for low beam. That way, a fault on one system doesn't kill both high- and low-beams.

2. "30 amps" is too high. 10 amp for low beam, 15 amp for high beam unless you've got more-powerful bulbs than stock/legal.

GM01

Reaction score
Is this wired so the low-beams are on one relay, and the highs on another? Or just one relay to keep the low beams lit when the high beams are on?

1. A "fuse" is a mistake. You should use self-resetting circuit breaker(s). If using two relays, one circuit breaker for high beam and one for low beam. That way, a fault on one system doesn't kill both high- and low-beams.

2. "30 amps" is too high. 10 amp for low beam, 15 amp for high beam unless you've got more-powerful bulbs than stock/legal.

Single relay to keep low beams on with the high.

I would have gone for self resetting breaker, but with this setup, even if the fuse goes out I still have power to the low beams independently. I am not sure if it will impact the high beams or not, could just pull the fuse to check what effect that has. As it is, the relay has no power when key is off and high beams and low work independently as standard during this time(key off, lights on), so it's safe to assume that it will remain that way if the relay loses power or the fuse blows.

I've got regular sealed beam headlights, nothing fancy or illegal. As for the amperage concerns, I think with the setup I have, this satisfies what I need so far based on what I've seen others do. Though I am not pretending to be a wiring expert by any means so any input is welcome