350 leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a list online of everything I'd need to convert. It may honestly be worth it for me because this truck has a 6 inch lift on it with bigger tires

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swapped out my cluster for one with a tach on it today, was a simple plug & play job. Here in this video you can see how bad the trans really is.

At about 10% throttle from the 1-2 shift it winds to around 3500-4000 before shifting lazily. It then pops right from 2-3 like it should because of how little throttle im giving it.

Trying to downshift the trans just slipped.

I originally thought 2nd gear was the culprit but I'm wondering if its 1st now? Not sure if 1st,2nd or both gears are messed up.

I noted while trying to do a burnout in 1st that it was just revving and slipping so that makes me think its 1st gear as the culprit and not 2nd.

Video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Im having the debate here. 99% positive 2-4 band is the culprit. I dont have the money to get the trans rebuild or the knowledge to do it myself.

How bad of an idea would it be to just replace the band, servo and reverse input drum? Every gear but 2nd is fine, I'm guessing overdrive will go soon with this problem unaddressed though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're having problems in first gear, it's not the band.

If you're having problems in second or fourth, (OD) I'd start with the servo. At least the trans doesn't come out and apart if it's a servo problem.

I don't think it's likely, but better to start there, than ripping the whole thing apart.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're having problems in first gear, it's not the band.

If you're having problems in second or fourth, (OD) I'd start with the servo. At least the trans doesn't come out and apart if it's a servo problem.

I don't think it's likely, but better to start there, than ripping the whole thing apart.
Upon closer inspection it's for sure 2nd not 1st. I put it in 2nd and gave it some gas and it just free revs. It's slow to shift, shifts at high rpm and slips if I give it too much throttle or try to downshift from 3rd.

If it's not the servo I may do the not so wise thing to do and pull the trans and just replace the band. I think the band has just enough in it to keep overdrive(4th) from having problems right now