350 leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would replacing a distributor gasket require removing the distributor and having to set my ignition timing again?
I cut my teeth on these trucks when they were still under warranty in the dealership JP and I used to tackle oil leaks like this:

Get a couple of cans of Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner and remove the bellhousing cover. It looks pretty easy on this one because the two braces that were originally installed from the cover to the engine block are missing so you've just got the four bolts and that's off.

Warm the engine up to normal operating temperature and get a decent size drain pan or place some good oil absorbent pads on the ground under the bellhousing area to catch everything that's gonna drip off of the area being sprayed so you don't make a mess on your driveway.

Spray the entire bellhousing area from the rear of the intake down. Spray the rear of the oil pan area as well as the rear main oil seal area, oil filter adapter area, rear of intake (to include the distributor gasket area). The intent is to get everything dry ( the engine being warmed up will cause the brake cleaner to evaporate and the oil along with it) so you can more effectively see where the oil leak is coming from. Lots of times the leakage was from the top coming down but when there's oil everywhere it makes it difficult to tell where its coming from.

Once the engine is clean get a good light and restart the engine and see where it's coming from. With as much oil as that engine is leaking it shouldn't take long to show up.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel does not cause corrosion. Where did you get that idea from? It would evaporated. Depending on what area of the country you live in it could be any of a hundred possibilities. Farm waste, salted roads, corrosive sea coast, high humidity climate....
Overfilling your tank is not a good idea.
You should clean and inspect those metal lines closely. If you did not find any hoses leaking probably one or more of those metal lines could be cracked.
You want to find a leak? Gravity. Everything runs downhill.
Next time try doing an engine or transmission wash. Get rid of all the old residue. With clean surfaces you can see exactly where the fluid is coming from and what is leaking fluid.
I didnt overfill, I filled it to around 30 gallons total(its a 34 gallon tank) and fuel was dumping from the very top down the sides of the tank.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sending unit looks pretty crusty, not uncommon for the tubes to be rusted through or cracked and leaking as mentioned, you're already there to replace it.....
Yeah that's true, as stated In my response above its dumping down the top of the tank down both sides of the tank after filling up. I'd better just replace both you're right.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut my teeth on these trucks when they were still under warranty in the dealership JP and I used to tackle oil leaks like this:

Get a couple of cans of Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner and remove the bellhousing cover. It looks pretty easy on this one because the two braces that were originally installed from the cover to the engine block are missing so you've just got the four bolts and that's off.

Warm the engine up to normal operating temperature and get a decent size drain pan or place some good oil absorbent pads on the ground under the bellhousing area to catch everything that's gonna drip off of the area being sprayed so you don't make a mess on your driveway.

Spray the entire bellhousing area from the rear of the intake down. Spray the rear of the oil pan area as well as the rear main oil seal area, oil filter adapter area, rear of intake (to include the distributor gasket area). The intent is to get everything dry ( the engine being warmed up will cause the brake cleaner to evaporate and the oil along with it) so you can more effectively see where the oil leak is coming from. Lots of times the leakage was from the top coming down but when there's oil everywhere it makes it difficult to tell where its coming from.

Once the engine is clean get a good light and restart the engine and see where it's coming from. With as much oil as that engine is leaking it shouldn't take long to show up.
Thank you very much for the advice!

Harry Dawg

Reaction score
Check the oil filter adapter. The 90 degree housing on the K-series trucks are prone to bending and warping IME.

I did an oil change and just from using a filter wrench managed to warp the housing. Swapped it over to a 2WD adapter with a stubby Wix filter and haven't had an issue since.

Also, as others mentioned the oil sending unit / pressure switch may be leaking, as this is positioned right above where all the oil seems to be accumulating.

Just Nobody

Reaction score
Hi I'm dripping oil in the driveway on my 350 tbi in my 94 k1500, after the video I checked the valve covers, no dripping. U guys think it's a rear main? I think it may be slinging all over the place to the starter etc

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Mine was coming from the distributor gasket. The rough casting marks on the plastic dist took a small piece out of the gasket and spued oil all the way to the rear axle. I also have a leak at the main seal, all my GMs do, except the 2002 corvette

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting the tank back in and cant remember which line off the pump is the feed and return lol, anyone know off hand?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Putting the tank back in and cant remember which line off the pump is the feed and return lol, anyone know off hand?
They are two different sizes, you can't mix them up. The larger line is the feed and the smaller line is the return

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks, I may have found why the seal was leaking, part of the part that the