350 leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would replacing a distributor gasket require removing the distributor and having to set my ignition timing again?
Not really, when pulling the distributor, take the cap off and watch the rotor, it will turn a few degrees counter clockwise. while lifting it. Pay attention to where it is when it comes free from the cam gear. Once you change the distributor gasket, stab it back in at the same degree relative to the front of the engine. You'll have a good idea if it doesn't drop in place easily, meaning the oil pump rod isn't aligned with it.

Last edited:

eXo0us

Reaction score
Just get a white pen and mark the distributor position on the intake. Take the cap of and mark the runner position. With those two marks you can get it back together without a scan tool.

Mine had a leaking intake on the china wall dripping down oil on the starter like yours did.

I got one of those small mirrors on a stick. Very helpful . Otherwise get your phone back there and take a few pictures of the china wall to intake connection. There is also the oil sending unit and the distributor. 3 things which may leak oil close together

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres the update video, while it's a bit wet in the area of the distributor seal and pressure sender, I dont think that its wet enough to be my leak.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

eXo0us

Reaction score
Heres the update video, while it's a bit wet in the area of the distributor seal and pressure sender, I dont think that its wet enough to be my leak.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
you need to get your phone further down. Hard to see, but definitely wet there.

A China wall Oil leak will only start leaking when you drive - it won't do anything will idling. Warm oil runs pretty well - so by the time you stop -everything will already have run down the Bell housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Get one of those mirrors a flashlight and see where the oil comes from back there.

I mean it's your choice - you can just start simple and get the pressure sender replaced and a new distributor gasket. Something is leaking there.
If that doesn't fix it - probably intake gaskets.

Only as last resort I would be going to pull the transmission to do the rear main seal.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would replacing a distributor gasket require removing the distributor and having to set my ignition timing again?

^^^ What he said.

You can make paint-marks, and try to be careful...but if you want it CONFIRMED to be done right, you'll put a timing light on it when you're done changing parts and replacing gaskets.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you need to get your phone further down. Hard to see, but definitely wet there.

A China wall Oil leak will only start leaking when you drive - it won't do anything will idling. Warm oil runs pretty well - so by the time you stop -everything will already have run down the Bell housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Get one of those mirrors a flashlight and see where the oil comes from back there.

I mean it's your choice - you can just start simple and get the pressure sender replaced and a new distributor gasket. Something is leaking there.
If that doesn't fix it - probably intake gaskets.

Only as last resort I would be going to pull the transmission to do the rear main seal.
Yeah it's probably a good idea, just replace those 3 gaskets and see what happens first.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok yeah I'm def going to replace those gaskets first, even if its not the big leak its still a problem.

What exactly do you mean by a china wall oil leak? Do you just mean the intake manifold gaskets? You got a pic of the part?