350 coolant disappearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hey sewlow , I think I forgot about the dark gray or black leather boot you were offering for guys that upgraded to a Core/Hurst setup. You still offering those? I made a new boot ring out of 125" thick aluminum plate, and kinda forgot to follow up with you on that. Been pretty busy with sonny's barracuda. I can PM you if your still doing this.

Due to the shut-down & a car accident w/injuries at the end of July, I had to sell the big house on acreage with the 2.5 car shop. Everything is in storage. Living at Sis's.
No shop = No biz.
Haven't found a new (smaller) place that meets my requirements yet.
My real estate salesgirl is starting to get it, though. She's learned to repeat along with me...
"Don't give a **** about the house. How big's the shop?"
800-1000 sq.ft. 2 bed, 1 bath house w/a 2-4 car shop on 1/2 to one acre.
There's nothing on the market here right now that even comes close in my price range.
It's gotta happen soon. Sis's couch is a bit short to be sleeping on.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's sucks man. I had to laugh about the real estate sales girl repeat after me thing though. You want what you want, some folks dont understand our priorities. Theres a guy who works for hot rod magazine. He rents a small warehouse that's got a bathroom w shower and small office area. I think he put in electric appliances for a kitchen area, and uses the office area as a bedroom, the rest of the place is his living room/garage. That would be bad ass. Have a sectional sofa in the shop/living room, big screen on the wall, cars and projects everywhere etc. He calls it the "warehome" I guess that's a cheap way to live in kalifornia.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And it just hit me too-mayo in the oil cap,white smoke from exhaust. Luckily it didn't overheat yet.Is there any easy way to tell whether it's intake or head gasket. Do headgaskets fail on 350s vortex(99)( I read somewhere that intake are notorious but heads are rare)?

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayo in the oil cap isn't always a sign of coolant in the oil. Check the condition of the oil. There's typically a film of oil in the cap, and as the cap is an entry point for air, any moisture that gets past the cap can make that mayo-looking sludge.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Mayo in the oil cap isn't always a sign of coolant in the oil. Check the condition of the oil. There's typically a film of oil in the cap, and as the cap is an entry point for air, any moisture that gets past the cap can make that mayo-looking sludge.
2x! If you have coolant in the oil, it'll be milky orange. That is what mine did last year. If it looks like that, change the oil and filter asap. This orange sludge is no good for bearing and wear surfaces. This time of year, the exhaust is always smoky because of the catalytic converter's actions. It turns the bad stuff in the exhaust into water vapor. But coolant in the exhaust system will produce a sweet smell.
Probably, you have a slight leak in the lower intake manifold gaskets. This is very common with vortec engine, especially if high mileage. When my Burb had this happen, I changed oil and filter, and put a bottle of Bar's Leaks copper formula in the radiator. ( radiator got run almost dry cause I forgot to check it that day!) So far, so good, no more milky oil. Good luck!

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score

The cap is usually the "coldest' part of the engine and therefore collects the most oil vapor/moisture. In the winter all my vehicles have white sludge on the fill cap. It goes away in the summer.

Ken

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mhmm-thanks you all for your response. I do lose a bit of coolant-I have been for quite some time-actually since I bought her. She's only done 102000-I've done maybe 5000. The thing is the weather here has only recently been cold-like minus 10 celcius but now it's changed. Today i started her up and it was plus 10 and she still steamed like a locomotive. Gotta look into it again and maybe check her for cylinder pressure and stuff. You guys got me thinkin now.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
There is a "kit" you can buy that will check for combustion products in the cooling system. Not sure of the cost that may be an option for you. IMO if water can get into the cylinder there is for sure a transfer of combustion into the cooling system.

Ken

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a "kit" you can buy that will check for combustion products in the cooling system. Not sure of the cost that may be an option for you. IMO if water can get into the cylinder there is for sure a transfer of combustion into the cooling system.

Ken
Yes-my friend mechanic has it. Simple test is to check if the cooling pipes(rubber ones) are getting stone hard. Mine are not-they do get harder but I can still squeeze them. Also if you open radiator cap and coolant starts geysering out that also shows that combustion gases get into the cooling system. Mine doesn't do that. So I think it was just me jumping to conclusion after seeing mayo and white smoke-as I'm simply waiting for it to happen(that's what reading too much does to you lol).
I forgot to add that I have propane fitted to it-and this could've been it-temps got unusually low and she was happily steaming putting me into a state of pre heart attack. I switched her over to petrol now and will observe. Early signs show that propane is the culprit. Thank you all for your input.