350 coolant disappearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I’ve found is people will never pay for good upkeep. Unless it’s a situation where the buyer has a relationship with the seller and knows the history. When we sold my dad’s 92 K1500 in 2015, I think we started at $6,500. Keep in mind this thing was in showroom, original condition. Brand new 265/75/16 Michelins, 165,000 miles, new goodwrench 350 and 4l60 both installed at Chevy dealership within last 30,000 miles. It had never been worked on by anyone besides dealership, my dad(actually worked as a mechanic at Pontiac dealership in late 60’s before being drafted) and myself. No bites at $6500. Quit trying for a while. Then listed again at $5,500 I believe. Also parked it out by the road with sign(rural farming area). Literally within 5 minutes farmer from area drives by, stops, backs up and pulls in. He says let me grab my check book, Are you sure $5,500 is enough? He knew what he was getting.

When I bought this 88 last year, I wasn’t really looking but it just popped up. I was more drawn to it having the options I wanted before I saw the low miles. Blue interior, Silverado, 9.5” 6 lug rear end. It was beat to holy hell for only 49,000 miles. But I know enough to know I could work with it and make it exactly what I want. He was asking $5,500. I paid $5,000. From an outsider’s view, I think it was only worth maybe $3,000.
Sounds like you should have bought your dads truck.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you should have bought your dads truck.
I actually shared ownership at the time. He bought a new 2008 GMC and I bought half ownership on the 92. We kept it as a spare. I used to live on same property (20 acres) as my parents. It got to the point we weren’t using it and decided to dump it. Looking back I regret it.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Never judge a vehicle by the mileage on the odometer."
~Reggie Jackson~ 'Mr. Chevrolet'.
Agreed. My 94 has about 160K miles. All put on by me along with very picky maintenance on all the mechanicals. Would never hesitate to take her anywhere. I would say that's a "young" 160K. Great truck. GM did a great job on these. I have no complaints with mine after living with her for 26 some odd years. It's all in how it's been maintained or not maintained.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey sewlow , I think I forgot about the dark gray or black leather boot you were offering for guys that upgraded to a Core/Hurst setup. You still offering those? I made a new boot ring out of 125" thick aluminum plate, and kinda forgot to follow up with you on that. Been pretty busy with sonny's barracuda. I can PM you if your still doing this.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What I’ve found is people will never pay for good upkeep. Unless it’s a situation where the buyer has a relationship with the seller and knows the history. When we sold my dad’s 92 K1500 in 2015, I think we started at $6,500. Keep in mind this thing was in showroom, original condition. Brand new 265/75/16 Michelins, 165,000 miles, new goodwrench 350 and 4l60 both installed at Chevy dealership within last 30,000 miles. It had never been worked on by anyone besides dealership, my dad(actually worked as a mechanic at Pontiac dealership in late 60’s before being drafted) and myself. No bites at $6500. Quit trying for a while. Then listed again at $5,500 I believe. Also parked it out by the road with sign(rural farming area). Literally within 5 minutes farmer from area drives by, stops, backs up and pulls in. He says let me grab my check book, Are you sure $5,500 is enough? He knew what he was getting.

When I bought this 88 last year, I wasn’t really looking but it just popped up. I was more drawn to it having the options I wanted before I saw the low miles. Blue interior, Silverado, 9.5” 6 lug rear end. It was beat to holy hell for only 49,000 miles. But I know enough to know I could work with it and make it exactly what I want. He was asking $5,500. I paid $5,000. From an outsider’s view, I think it was only worth maybe $3,000.

Your dad's rig needed a new engine? What happened to the original?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Wow, that's a new one for me. Never thought that was possible on anything but dragsters lol. Bad casting or something..

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Bought mine brand new special order in 1994. It will be with me till I'm dead.

That is rad. I think before I asked about what options and stuff you ordered it with. The guy I bought my Town Car off did that. He wanted it black with saddle velour, Signature series, the turbine wheels and air ride for the luggage he and his wife loaded into it to take to Florida every year. Turns out, it's one of 43 like that for '88. If I ordered it new, It would have had the digital dash, red velour, auto dimming rearview mirror and the JBL audio option as well- maybe also the CD player that was available but meh. The saddle/sandalwood interior with black exterior is a really nice combo though.