3/5 drop question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lydens

Reaction score
I did my first flip kit and didn't flip the center bolt on the leaf spring...everything went back together well, but Idk if I need to take it apart again.
You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did my first flip kit and didn't flip the center bolt on the leaf spring...everything went back together well, but Idk if I need to take it apart again.
You must be registered for see images attach
Not sure what you mean by that.
I don't recall having to flip any bolts on my Belltech kit. And I followed those directions to down to the last line.
And usually a flip gets you 6" of drop, did you put a lift shackle on it?

Truck looks good though!

Lydens

Reaction score
Yea, I put lift shackles on it. After I installed the kit, I kept seeing videos and posts of ppl saying that "you HAVE to flip that bolt around". Noone ever says why

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't they tell you to flip the bolt around so it holds the shims in place? I could be wrong

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't they tell you to flip the bolt around so it holds the shims in place? I could be wrong
What kit did you use?
That would probably make this easier. My Belltech one has the angle built into the saddle that holds the springs and axle.
Can you look up the instructions for your kit and see if it says anything about flipping a bolt?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they mean to flip this bolt around so it helps locate the axle at the right spot.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 6

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they mean to flip this bolt around so it helps locate the axle at the right spot.
That's kinda what I thought was going on. The Belltech saddles have the holes offset so that you don't have to do that. Have to pay attention so you get them on the right side.
Probably a ebay kit or similar.

Lydens

Reaction score
My flip kit is one off of Amazon. It has the offset holes also. Imma crawl under it tomorrow to double check which side it's on.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The bolts don't have to be flipped.
The only time those bolts have to be messed with is when installing wedges in order to correct the pinion angle.
When installing wedges, the head of the centering bolt is no longer long enough to reach all the way through the wedge & back into the locator hole in the perch.
Two fixes.
There are special bolts available with an extra tall head. IIRC the kit co.'s do sell them.
Or...
Go to GM & buy a new set. They're cheap!
GM makes 4 different lengths. C1500's use the shortest. Get the next longer.
Crank an appropriate sized nut tight to the head with a bit of red loctite, then grind the shoulders off of the nut down to the head's diameter.

Most drop kits have the pinion angle dialed in by design. Calculated for a 6" drop.
There's a couple out there that are actually adjustable. B/T is of the fixed angle type

But now that you've gone up to 5", you've altered the pre-calculated parameters.
Check your pinion angle.

#2 is as good as it gets for these trucks, plus the offset is actually beneficial for U-joint longevity.

Attachments

• pinion_angle_bad_angles.png
    pinion_angle_bad_angles.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 5