3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you put anything between the fender and the tub so the paint doesn't get scratched up? Fender welting comes to mind, maybe a closed cell foam, butyl? Just curious.
I didn’t use those, that was for OP, as that’s the color he painted his wheels. I did recently paint mine and just bolted them up. I don’t ever plan on unbolting them.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the odds on this build that my Borgeson box is out of spec already. 0 miles and I’ve got a lot of shaft play already.

Edit: I think it initially felt a lot better and I didn’t catch this because I didn’t have any weight on the steering components.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’t not normal. Hopefully it’s just lash not set properly. How much travel is there at the steering wheel to get it to clunk? If new parts were used, it should be tight and loosen some with miles.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’t not normal. Hopefully it’s just lash not set properly. How much travel is there at the steering wheel to get it to clunk? If new parts were used, it should be tight and loosen some with miles.
At the steering wheel it is only a very small amount to get it to clunk. The tech thought it was in the column but it is not. I took the steering shaft off of the upper shaft and was able to reproduce the sound.

I called their tech support and they told me to get it aligned and drive it then report back. He asked me how I installed the pitman arm as that may have pulled it out of center. I repeated to him: installed box, made sure it was clocked, installed pitman arm, then moved the center link into position to the pitman arm. I didn’t accidentally move the pitman and box out of position. The steering shaft lined up perfectly upon installation as well. The pitman and idler arms were parallel with the frame.

So I’ll give it a shot with the alignment and see what happens.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the steering wheel it is only a very small amount to get it to clunk. The tech thought it was in the column but it is not. I took the steering shaft off of the upper shaft and was able to reproduce the sound.

I called their tech support and they told me to get it aligned and drive it then report back. He asked me how I installed the pitman arm as that may have pulled it out of center. I repeated to him: installed box, made sure it was clocked, installed pitman arm, then moved the center link into position to the pitman arm. I didn’t accidentally move the pitman and box out of position. The steering shaft lined up perfectly upon installation as well. The pitman and idler arms were parallel with the frame.

So I’ll give it a shot with the alignment and see what happens.
Sorry to hear this, but at least you have them on notice!

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m willing to hear them out before I start the warranty process. They also said they won’t warranty a box with zero miles on it.

I just verified my fitment of everything. With the steering wheel straight the pitman and idler are parallel to the frame. As reference I went and checked my ‘92 and it is the same way. The pitman is not 100% parallel to the eye because of the frame shape, but it looks correct. When I was bleeding the system I got the correct number of turns from lock to lock and lock to center. I believe I did the install right.

Anyways now I’m just rambling. I’m so close to being able to drive it.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that an aftermarket steering shaft? If so, I’m guessing you checked the base of the steering shaft to make sure it’s fitted properly (the set screw is located over a flat spot on the steering gear shaft, or a dimple was made for the set screw) and the steering gear does not have a pin protruding from the shaft and potentially hitting the U-joint. Hope it works out.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shaft is installed in the correct orientation. In another thread I read that the set screw should be oriented 180° opposite of that flat spot.

If I have it oriented on the flat spot then the steering wheel is not straight when the gear box is clocked straight.

These little details can be frustrating but I’ve definitely learned a lot throughout this whole process.

I appreciate everyone who has chimed in, gave encouragement, and offered great advice. This forum rules.