3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn't just a fluff reply for you, but isn't Felpro who people normally go with on gaskets like that?
My dad insists on GM intake gaskets, felpro is fine for everything else. He likes the material better of the OE gaskets. I’m inclined to trust him as he’s got way more experience than me - he was a mechanic at a Chevrolet dealer when these were new. But if I can find a suitable replacement, we will just go that route.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were felpros on this engine and it failed around the EGR port. It was sucking oil through that and possibly the #4 port.

His thinking is is that they are too firm/rigid. And the GM ones aren’t like that.

I know some people say they always use felpros and have had good luck. We have always used GM and had good luck. But maybe it’s time to change it up.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I got the heads off. All the cylinders look good. The walls feel smooth but we couldn’t see the cross hatching. This week I need to check bearings to see what they look like. I have the heads, intake, and valve covers prepped for cleaning this week. I couldn’t get the dang EGR off. It’s soaking in Kroil right now, hopefully it comes free. If not, oh well. It was working fine before.

Last night I broke the TBI open so I can get my injectors sent off. The gaskets all crumbled as I was opening it up. Seems like it was a good time to rebuild it anyways.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit, when they replaced the original engine in the truck they did add a double roller chain.

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer (no not that one) and picked up my heads, intake, and valve covers. All the grease and grime is off them, woo! I’m going to paint the intake silver and the block/heads/pan black. Air cleaner and valve covers will be a maroon/deep red to match the interior.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some shots of the heads.

Pre cleaning:

Post cleaning, driver’s side:

Obviously I still need to clean the surfaces, but it will be much nicer working with clean parts. We are going to do valve seals while we’ve got it apart.

Bonus: they were able to source some intake gaskets for me from another dealer.
Bonus x2: my injectors got sent off today. Turn around time 10-14 days.

Rant: how many of you shop at Home Depot? The one by me is terrible. Everyone is clueless and the never have what I need. They always say they can order it, but darn it I need that **** today! They didn’t have die grinder sanding discs, emery cloth, or even any decent 3M sandpaper or scotchbrite pads.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I started cleaning the intake, it’s dusty here in this photo. I didn’t want to fire up the compressor for 2 minutes worth of work. It’s cleaning up good, but I think I may still hit it with some paint just to even things out. Broke my small dremel wire wheels so I called it for the night.

But, before that I was working on my valve covers and found a crusty spot. Out came the pick tool and through it went. New ones will be ordered tomorrow. I’m not super surprised, the block was really crusty as well.

Lastly, I picked myself up a nice fuel pressure tester. This is one that @someotherguy recommended in another thread. Thanks, Richard!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I started cleaning the intake, it’s dusty here in this photo. I didn’t want to fire up the compressor for 2 minutes worth of work. It’s cleaning up good, but I think I may still hit it with some paint just to even things out. Broke my small dremel wire wheels so I called it for the night.

But, before that I was working on my valve covers and found a crusty spot. Out came the pick tool and through it went. New ones will be ordered tomorrow. I’m not super surprised, the block was really crusty as well.

Lastly, I picked myself up a nice fuel pressure tester. This is one that @someotherguy recommended in another thread. Thanks, Richard!
I have the same one, never had a problem with it. Just be careful when you tighten up the adapter to the back of the throttle body, I had one break on me as the brass wall isn't that thick inside of it and as the nut is at the other end from the thread being tightened I think I got off centre with a long spanner and levered it sideways a bit instead of just screwing it in.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same one, never had a problem with it. Just be careful when you tighten up the adapter to the back of the throttle body, I had one break on me as the brass wall isn't that thick inside of it and as the nut is at the other end from the thread being tightened I think I got off centre with a long spanner and levered it sideways a bit instead of just screwing it in.
Good to know, thank you for the tip.