3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine out, intake heater hose connector didn’t break, and a great sunset.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Engine out, intake heater hose connector didn’t break, and a great sunset.

Sounds like a big win then!

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a big win then!
Definitely. We had the engine out in 6 hours. My dad was a mechanic at a local dealership when these trucks were new. He sure does know his way around them.
I’ve NEVER seen one of those fittings come out in one piece. Time to buy a lottery ticket.
Absolutely! Got lucky here.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine came out no problem, I replaced it with a new one, but I still don’t like them. I’ve got the AcDelco 15-33220 and new hose ready to swap in.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine came out no problem, I replaced it with a new one, but I still don’t like them. I’ve got the AcDelco 15-33220 and new hose ready to swap in.
Thank you for sharing. I am going to be doing this, too. I had thought of something similar but like this setup.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. I am going to be doing this, too. I had thought of something similar but like this setup.
Another thing I like about this part is that it’s the correct inside diameter restriction where as I’ve seen others have used plumbing supply parts with larger I.D.
Don’t forget these to:

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing I like about this part is that it’s the correct inside diameter restriction where as I’ve seen others have used plumbing supply parts with larger I.D.
Don’t forget these to:
Noted on the I.D. Really appreciate you sharing the info on this setup.

Definitely not forgetting those spring clamps. The previous owner of this truck was liberal with their worm gear hose clamp usage.

Couple other notes from the tear down:
- none of the manifold studs broke at the Y pipe flange. 4 out of 6 nuts came off, the remaining 2 took the studs out with them
- Motor mounts look good, not all rotted out or collapsed
- Harness is clean, the map sensor plug did break but I think I’ve got a spare. The harness for the coil got nibbled on by some rodents but they didn’t get through to wire. I’m going to add heat shrink over the chew marks for peace of mind.
- my coolant leak was from the freeze plug behind the starter (which I need to get photos of, it’s not big like the traditional ones I’ve seen..). But the stud on the starter did break, so I’ll need a new one.
- fuel lines are real bad where they transition from hard to soft line under the cab.

I’m sure I’ll think of more. Next weekend we are going to open it up. Parts are being ordered tomorrow.

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered gaskets, thread chasers, rear main seal installer, oil pan, oil pump and pickup, timing chain set, and some other some small parts today. I order my intake gaskets through the dealer per the old man’s request. We used them when we did my ‘92 and they’ve held up good.

Somewhat on/off topic, I was looking through some old photos. On 4/22/2018 my dad and I began swapping out the 4.3 to a 5.7 in my ‘92 C1500. The V8 swap was the best modification we did to that truck. It has been such a solid running truck. On my last fill-up I got 19.44mpg - a record since I started tracking it. And this last tank was mixed city/highway. I just thought I’d share these photos, since the ‘92 doesn’t have a build thread.

Body work at my neighbors. We did rockers, cab corners, and a partial floor. In hindsight, I should’ve just bought a cab.

Last photo of the 4.3 in the truck. It still sits at my parents. I’m going to keep a valve cover off of it and scrap the rest.

When we pulled the 4.3 there was a mouse nest in the behind the flywheel. You can also see how gross the engine was. Ram great though.

This was probably right before the 350 went in. $150 roller cam 5.7 from a caprice wagon. Bought it at a swap meet ~1 year prior to starting this project. It had an alleged 96K on it and it sure seemed that way. It was clean.

This engine will be going in my ‘94 K2500. The ‘92 will be parked by the end of the summer.