3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been going over every night this week and working on it. Slow going. Today I ordered everything to swap to the pre-94 grille.
To do:
  • Water pump
  • Accessory bracket
  • Plug wires
  • Harness
  • Radiator hoses
  • Y pipe - the stud kit is a PITA
  • Trans cooler lines
  • Shroud
  • Big 3
Overall it’s been going decent. Torque converter got bolted to the flex plate last night. I got to the final bolt and heard an unsettling cracking sound when I was tightening it up. I’m hoping it was just settling in place further. I inspected it and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. It went real smooth otherwise. Just one of those things that makes me worry/wonder.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else I noticed, when I undid the torque converter and slid it back, it went fine. No issues. However, when we would push the truck back and forth (in neutral) it would whine. Now that it’s all back together it still whines. What could cause this? It is a little concerning. Pump noise? It didn’t do it before hand and I have a hard time believing I messed something up.

Am I over-worrying?

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to make a list. Lots to get done. Hopefully July is full of progress. It’s a lot but all doable. I’ll rely on the old man for help on the drop.

You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It runs.

But… one of the valves on the drivers bank is not set right. So there is some noise. I’ll pull valve covers off tomorrow and adjust it while running.

It fired right up. It was about 2° retarded and we had it adjusted in no time. Set to zero, plug in the wire, shut the truck off and let it sit while we put some stuff away, started up again and set itself to 2° advanced. Shifted through all the gears great.

We filled the system with water and coolant flush. Going to let it run a bit more and drain it and flush it with the hose. Then I have distilled water to fill it with.

It feels good to have this done. We are going to push the ‘94 K2500 project to next year.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Caman96 - no I did not replace my drain plugs. I resealed the old ones and installed them. They weren’t too bad. My dad and I really like that 5/8” heater hose nipple on the intake though.

@Orpedcrow - no worries. I need to check your threads and see how you’re doing. It’s been a busy week.

Regarding the transmission noise, it’s gone. All it took was getting some fluid movement and it cleared right up.

Now we have a new, albeit solvable, issue. The baffles in the valve covers are rattling and making this god awful noise. Hear it here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We at first thought it was valve train - and maybe a little bit of it was. We wet set the valves while the covers were off. And now they are set right.

After comparing the old covers to the new ones we noticed some movement on the new baffles. The old ones don’t flex like the new ones do. They rub just enough to make noise. I am going to remove them, bend them open, and have my neighbor spot weld them in place. In the video you can hear my dad bend it out of the way and the sound goes away.

In this video you can see how well the truck runs:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And we tried to bleed the coolant system tonight but the thermostat wouldn’t open. I’ll get a new one and throw it in some water to make sure it works.

Overall, we’re pleased with how smooth this thing runs in the driveway. I can’t wait to get it down the road.