2001 Suburban 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I'm at my wits end with this thing.

It just ate through ANOTHER belt. This one last roughly 150 miles.

I have replaced multiple belts, idler pulley, tenioner pulley, tensioner assembly, power steering pump, and shimmed the alternator and nothing!! Keeps chewing off the outer rib.

I've checked all the pulleys and can't find any burs or anything like that. All the pulleys look in line.

Anyone have any ideas before I junk the damn thing??

mistaake

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end with this thing.

It just ate through ANOTHER belt. This one last roughly 150 miles.

I have replaced multiple belts, idler pulley, tenioner pulley, tensioner assembly, power steering pump, and shimmed the alternator and nothing!! Keeps chewing off the outer rib.

I've checked all the pulleys and can't find any burs or anything like that. All the pulleys look in line.

Anyone have any ideas before I junk the damn thing??

I'll take it off your hands :D But I have never heard of anything eating belts so quickly.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Transfer case seal blew, dumped all the trans fluid. Trans overheated and cooked it.

Shop is gonna warranty it, getting a whole new trans. Just gotta pay for the tow bill (which my insurance will reimburse me for anyway). Few more days and it'll be up and running.

First time I've ever killed a brand new trans in less than 500 miles. And technically it was my Fiance who did it, she's been doing the most of the driving lol.

A tranny temp gauge is also going to be installed to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

I also think I finally figured out the belt issue.

Found a slight rust ring on the water pump pulley, nothing I thought was major but at this point I'm willing to try anything. Hit it with some light grit sandpaper and a polishing wheel, it still appears on the pulley but I can't feel anything with my finger.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also found out that the belt I kept warrantying out has been the wrong one. It's been for a 105 amp alternator and I needed one for a 130. I partially blame GM for this. RPO Code K68 is for a 105, KG8 is for a 130. Anyone care to guess how much those look alike in the RPO code list!?!?!?.

Also went and cleaned the EGR valve and replaced the gasket.

Nasty old thing.

Also installed this cute thing.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen it with the 400's chewing the outer edge of the belt because the power steering pulley wasn't pressed on all the way, maybe check that and make sure that all of the pullies are aligned properly.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I've seen it with the 400's chewing the outer edge of the belt because the power steering pulley wasn't pressed on all the way, maybe check that and make sure that all of the pullies are aligned properly.

They're all in line. There's no way that pulley is going on anymore. Not unless hulk himself is gonna turn the wrench on the press. With me holding the pulley and my dad turning the wrench we actually started to gall the threads on the bolt that goes into the end of the pump shaft we were turning it so tight.

It was all in vain anyway. The sensor on the back of the pump is leaking....heavily. I replaced the o-ring to it when I swapped it over. Time to do this all over again I guess. Gotta find somewhere that sells the pump with that sensor already installed.

I never win at this game anymore :banghead:

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How does the belt tensioner look? If there is play in the pivot bearing they can eat belts too.