2001 Suburban 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
How does the belt tensioner look? If there is play in the pivot bearing they can eat belts too.

Whole tensioning assembly is brand new. I think I've fixed this issue it hasn't thrown a belt for the last 100 miles.

It's getting sold/traded in so I'm not worried about it regardless lol.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Aww man. A 454 powered GMC short bed, and a Cat-Eye crew cab?! I'm jealous as fawk!

Don't get too jealous.

The 454 isn't running at the moment, mice have gotten into it it's been sitting so long.

I didn't end up getting that CC either, couldn't make a deal with the dealership.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Mice are the worst. Hope get it sorted out and back on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have slowly started getting motivation to work on it.

But my roommate has the garage occupied with his Four Runner while the axles are getting rebuilt.

Someday it'll get fixed. Decon and moth balls should fix the mice problem.

This is also the wrong thread to talk about this truck in haha.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
The darn thing threw another belt.

Didn't shred it this time, just threw it. Went to back it out of the driveway and had no power steering. Weird thing is when I pulled it in the night before it was fine, wasn't overheating, volt gauge was reading fine, had power steering, not really sure how/when it came off.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random thought for you, The belts tend to be pretty tight to get on IF you have the right belt, there are 2 parts used in the GMT800s 5.3s that I now of probably more, anyway one is longer for the larger Alternator, one is shorter by about an inch, the tensioner might hide the longer belt but not like it.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Random thought for you, The belts tend to be pretty tight to get on IF you have the right belt, there are 2 parts used in the GMT800s 5.3s that I now of probably more, anyway one is longer for the larger Alternator, one is shorter by about an inch, the tensioner might hide the longer belt but not like it.

I had been using the smaller ones (mistake on ordering on my part). Those would keep snapping, figured out I'd been warrantying the wrong part out over and over, and got the correct size. Now it's just throwing them.

I have most of the accessories pulled off the front ATM. Trying to figure it out, only thing I can come up with is the PS pulley wasn't pressed on all the way. I have no idea how I'm going to get it on further, darn near broke the installer last time we did it.