2001 Suburban 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Just picked this up tonight. Gave $4300 for it, should've offered less the guy would've taken it, oh well lol.

It's a 2001 Suburban LT, 5.3L, auto, auto 4x4, leather, 3rd row seat, 201,000 miles.

Loaded with everything except a sunroof (which I'm fine with, all they do is leak).

You must be registered for see images attach

Runs awesome, not even a hint of lifter tick, even at the mileage it has.

Does need a few things.

One of the ABS sensors is bad.

Bank 1 Sensor 2 02 sensor needs replaced.

Desperately needs wipers.

Fuel gauge doesn't work, not sure if it's the sending unit or what.

Other than that it just needs a good cleaning. It was well maintined just never washed lol.

Driver's seat is ripped so I'll be on the hunt for a decent used set.

This is primarily gonna be the GF's ride with me using it on occassion for roadtrips, camping, etc.

Should be fun, my first LS!!

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Awesome! I prefer the tahoes for some reason but its a gm lol. That fuel gauge issue is common. Join ovet at gmt800

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Did the first round of maintenance to it.

Started shifting funny one day while driving it. Turned out to be a bad TPS, replaced that with a BWD from O'reilly's (only place open on Sunday at 3pm).

Then took it to a shop to have a trans service done (needed it at 200,000 miles.) Could've done it myself just flat out didn't have time.

Then it developed a belt squeak, new idler, tensioner, and belt fixed all that.

Also changed the oil in it and greased all the front end components.

Have been towing with it recently while my '98 has been down. Has needed u-joints since I bought it so went and did those as well (still had the original nylon ones, not fun to remove).

Also added a trailer brake controller.

I'm going to be towing my flatbed with me and a friends quads on it to the local mud bog on Saturday. All the rain we've been having here has turned the parking lot into a mud pit of its own. So she's gonna be getting new tires today. I think the old ones have reached the end of their service life.

They'll be getting replaced with Cooper AT3's. Love those tires. Me and my dad run them on everything, so does my work. They do quite well in the muddy cornfields I have to drive through to get to our signs for my job.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
to fix the gauges on those 800s you usually have to get a new cluster

I'm not sure if it's the gauge itself or the sending unit in the tank. Both are known for going bad. There's a few places that will rebuild the gauge clusters it's become such a common problem. On my to do list just have to get to it.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Ok update time, I've been away from here for a while. No real reason just got busy with other things.

This thing has turned into a money pit on me.

I had stated earlier that I was getting new tires on it. 265/75/16 Cooper AT3's, my go to tire for most of what I do, they work great.

A few weeks after I did that, kaboom!!!! No more transmission, went out as I was going a whole 3 mph pulling out of my neighbors driveway, and it did violently. Locked the back tires up and made some very interesting noises. Blew the front pump, cracked the planetary, and the clutches were so toast it was cheaper to install a new one than rebuild the old one.

And so to the tune of $2400 I had a local trans shop install a new one with a full 3 year warranty.

So I drive it for a month and I'm all happy, then it threw a belt. Ok that's weird I just replaced that a few months ago with a good Gates one. Oh well $hit happens I guess, so I have my buddy bring me one in the parking lot where I pulled over. It's a cheap autozone one but I figure it'll work for now, that thing lasted 20 miles. So we warranty it out for another cheap one, that one lasted 3 days. I check all the pulleys, no burs, no play, everything spins as it should.

The alternator looks a little bit out of line. Now I had removed it to replace the TPS earlier so I figure I must have re-installed the shims wrong. Ok so I shim it back out and this time I replace the belt with another Gates. Now a week later the Gates is looking very worn and like it might break in the next day or two. This thing is trying my patience..........and my wallet!!!!!!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
New power steering pump

New tensioner

New belt

New plugs

New wires

New AC Delco TPS (much better than the el' cheapo one I had on it)

New fuel filter (couldn't even blow through it!! Pretty sure it was original, bumped up my fuel pressure by 10psi)

Cleaned the IAC.

She's back up and running like a champ now. Now I've got a spare to drive while I dive into my other two.......

Also ordered a Ebay CAI for it. Not to gain any horsepower, but the factory design on these is the most cumbersome pain in the butt to take off design I have ever seen!

Also will be cleaning the EGR valve in the next couple of days, once I get a new gasket for it.