2 WD front end alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you guys go through tires like I do ? A set about every 2 years. I know factory spec says set the camber to + .5 * but the truck eats tires like this. I talked to a shop today, maybe the owner IDK. He said he had a 93. He said, hows your driving habits, he said do you drive fast. I laughed and said yea I got a lead foot, and the truck runs good, so I don't cut it any slack. He says well these truck turn. The caster tilts the wheels hard, so the harder you corner, the more you will eat up the tires on the outside edge. He said you just need to slow down, I said, yea, thats not guna happen. I'm almost 60 years old, and I have always driven like that. He said well the fix is to set the camber to negative camber, but would not give me any specs, and said he would not do it because of the liability. If there is a wreck or something happens he can afford to get sued. Frickin lawyers. any way if you guys have any insight, I would like to hear it, but keep in mind, I'm not slowing down Ha Ha

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the last 2 years, not many. about 12,000 miles.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go to another shop and tell them what you want.
I have called every shop around me, and its all the same story. They want to set it factory specs. +.5* The trucks eats tiers like that. 1/2 a degree positive camber just doesn't work. Still searching. I have even tried the next town south of me, and same crap. I know it need negative camber, I just dont know how much. 1/2 a degree, 1 degree IDK. When I had my 93 WT, it did the same thing until I put a set of 60 on it, but I had it aligned at a shop, and the mechanics that worked there then, do work there now. Its frustrating to only get a little over 12,000 out of a set of tires. I want to put another set of 60s on this truck, but if I cant get the alignment to quit eating tires on a stock 235-75-15, I know a wider tire will be worse. Oh and these are cheap tires, but I think they are 40,000 mile tires, not 12,000 tires. I had a set of Cooper Cobra 70s on it before this, and it eta those up too. I did an adjustment on them and got these cheap tires.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front end parts are good? Rotated regularly?

I had a 98 2wd regular cab years ago, put a bit over 100k on it and two sets of tires. I know it always kind of wore on the outside edge, but my Z71 and Tahoe do the same and seem to wear (mileage-wise) about the same as the 2WD did.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes good front end parts, and rotated, and balanced every 5000 miles. All 4 tires are worn the same way, but I know its because they have been on the front of the truck. Thats kind of how all of this started. I had to replace my ball joints. Did an alignment after the replacement, and never been rite since. I have been to 3 different shops, and always the same garbage. Just to much positive camber. Hell I can look at the truck and see the tires tilted out at the top a little.

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1996 ECSB C1500 with 223,000 miles has Michelin tires that havnt been rotated in 15000 miles. Front end componets of unknown age and miles. Tires are NOT wearing unevenly at all. Hope this helps.

outlawten5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did alignments for years. I would have done whatever the customer wanted. With a disclaimer on the invoice ofcourse. I used to do a lot of drag cars and they always wanted custom specs. Increased caster, toe-in, etc.... Tell them it's not for street use.