2-in-1 Rust Reform & Seal frame paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I have heard really good things about POR15. I saw the step by step video of the prep the cleaning with the acid spray or whatever it is then wet it down. I'm sure POR15 is awesome but when your upside down and it drips on you then you can't get it off your skin for 6 months makes it hard to show up to church looking like you are that guy that doesn't take a bath. How do you guys prep these frames without removing all the fuel lines tank and brake line. The passenger side isn't bad but getting into the inner part of the frame is not easy unless you sand blast it and that would be like a frame off restoration. And if you are prepping using phosphoric acid doesn't that eat up something you don't want it too? Like a fuel line a rubber any line your eyes. I'm just talking about the frame from the cab back. It would be a nigtmare to try the bottom of the box with the box still on the truck with this acid prep ETC... Holy Cow.

you buy a Tyvek suit with a hood and a respirator, some gloves, and goggles. PPE equipment. Phospprhic acid is the same acid in soda pop. Burn your eyes some, but these strengths in these products are nowhere near sulfuric, hydrochloric, or muriatic acids commonly available in other commercial products.

yeah, you can't get to it all assembled so the rust will creep back under the coatings from the areas that you can't treat so at best it's a half assed attempt with band aid products. It may help but it's not a long lasting solution.

I have seen Por 15 come loose in sheets from floor pans and exterior pieces, bumper fillers ect on restorations. It's an un-catalyzed product. Really better off blasting and using an epoxy primer.

Last edited:

Bloodwater79

Reaction score
Yes I have heard really good things about POR15. I saw the step by step video of the prep the cleaning with the acid spray or whatever it is then wet it down. I'm sure POR15 is awesome but when your upside down and it drips on you then you can't get it off your skin for 6 months makes it hard to show up to church looking like you are that guy that doesn't take a bath. How do you guys prep these frames without removing all the fuel lines tank and brake line. The passenger side isn't bad but getting into the inner part of the frame is not easy unless you sand blast it and that would be like a frame off restoration. And if you are prepping using phosphoric acid doesn't that eat up something you don't want it too? Like a fuel line a rubber any line your eyes. I'm just talking about the frame from the cab back. It would be a nigtmare to try the bottom of the box with the box still on the truck with this acid prep ETC... Holy Cow.
I just prepped the metal lines and covered them too. since they were not stainless I figured any protection they could get was worth it.
its pretty thick stuff and self leveling. I usually wear an old flannel shirt and gloves to keep any off of my skin. only really lasts about 2 weeks and then it is worn off the skin.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have heard of POR15 falling off in sheets as well. Well the bottom line for me is I have a rust free box that I need to prep the bottom before I put it on and I will have the old box off so I could do some more work to the frame but winter is coming so not sure what to do. Might do epoxy primer not sure now. Not POR15 though I don't think.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did mine. It wasn't touched since new I believe and I'm in UK. It wasn't restoration as such-more like a sealing just to keep elements away. I used a rust treatment called Cortanin F(it's polish made)-it turns rust into metal. Then spraypained with regular primer. Then Hammerite Underbody. Some parts I covered with Kent Toughcoat-my mechanic says it's a good stuff. Time will show how good. Fingers crossed.

Jimmyspirits

Reaction score
I used that rust reformer on my 1999 Tahoe frame last year after brushing off all the loose stuff and then I topcoated it with some rustoleum black but it comes right back the rust and it is so bad I now have holes through my frame. Redid all my brake lines last year they were all gone. Had a rear shock rust through this weekend and leave fluid all over my driveway and I replaced those. Also a couple weeks ago when I pumped my gas, I saw fuel pouring onto the ground through the filler neck so I also just replaced that. This car is really not used in the salt of winter and I don’t plow with it or anything like that. Is it possible that certain years had defective frames like some of the Toyota SUVs? I was looking at a 96 Tahoe just a town or two away from me and the frame was as solid as can be with a lot more mileage and he plowed with it. I’m in NY. Have 133k in the truck. I love it and I want to keep it going but just wondering what is going to happen next. Also all the rear spring shackle bolts and hardware and rear spring mounting brackets are just about ready to let loose.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used that rust reformer on my 1999 Tahoe frame last year after brushing off all the loose stuff and then I topcoated it with some rustoleum black but it comes right back the rust and it is so bad I now have holes through my frame. Redid all my brake lines last year they were all gone. Had a rear shock rust through this weekend and leave fluid all over my driveway and I replaced those. Also a couple weeks ago when I pumped my gas, I saw fuel pouring onto the ground through the filler neck so I also just replaced that. This car is really not used in the salt of winter and I don’t plow with it or anything like that. Is it possible that certain years had defective frames like some of the Toyota SUVs? I was looking at a 96 Tahoe just a town or two away from me and the frame was as solid as can be with a lot more mileage and he plowed with it. I’m in NY. Have 133k in the truck. I love it and I want to keep it going but just wondering what is going to happen next. Also all the rear spring shackle bolts and hardware and rear spring mounting brackets are just about ready to let loose.
Mine is 99 and the chassis was rather rusty at first glance but after I wirebrushed it it most of the rust was aurface. Not a single hole in the frame,all solid. Will see after this winter as she's my daily. She spent most of the the UK-salt on the roads.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Probably need to sell it. If you have holes in your frame. Brake lines and little things even the spring mounts can be fixed and you said you did your brake lines last year and they all gone now. That doesn't make sense. You call it a car then you call it a truck. I don't know what to think here. Good luck maybe someone else can help you on this site.

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Rust Reformer extensively (also in New England!), like all coatings prep is key. I've been using wire wheels to get the loose and built up stuff, treat it with a paint prep to get rid of oils and wax that may remain, spray with rust reformer- and, this seems to be key: let it dry for 24 hours. at this point I'll paint with two coats of chassis black, I've been using VHT on my Jeep but think I'm going to Eastwood's 2K chassis black for more durability
RI Chevy Guy, I actually live in Warwick down by Oakland Beach

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thoroughly agree with Hipster that the proper way to to take care of your truck is a frame off media blasting.
If I had the means, cash, time and space to do that level of job; you bet your ass I would be all over it
But that is a HUGE undertaking, especially with the longroofs. I think I would be having less issues if I had a pickup
I certainly love my Suburban and it hurts not to be able to address every issue in the most proper manner
But I have to do the best I can with what I have available to keep her on the road for a couple more decades

Jimmyspirits

Reaction score
Probably need to sell it. If you have holes in your frame. Brake lines and little things even the spring mounts can be fixed and you said you did your brake lines last year and they all gone now. That doesn't make sense. You call it a car then you call it a truck. I don't know what to think here. Good luck maybe someone else can help you on this site.
If you read the post I said I did all the brake lines last year as they WERE gone. That’s past tense in English. I didn’t realize using the word car and truck was an issue as this is a truck forum so I apologize if I wrote car, that’s picking at semantics.