The rust kicker.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy Y’all,
I’m towing back and forth the possibility of painting my truck this summer. I’m pretty sure I can handle most of the aspects of the process, except I have no idea what to do about the rust spots and paint bubbles where the metal is flaking. Is there a way to fix it? I really don’t want to take it to a body shop. Would it be easier to find a new part? It’s really not a lot of rust for a truck its age, but it’ll show under paint for sure! I’m really not sure how to deal with this issue. Here’s the spots:
You must be registered for see images attach

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For some reason you can only post five pics. this is the worst spot of all.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well....here's the honest truth.
You can 1/2 ass it or do it right.
Doing it right and economically involves you or someone you know with a grinder and welder, especially for the cab corner and fender arches.
It's not that difficult, I did mine last year.
Good news is every piece is available for replacement.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What other thread? I just checked all the other threads, and I didn’t see one that I was part of talking about this! df2x4 was talking about removing the chrome trim. I’m asking about getting rid of fender and body rust in preparation to paint. Re-read those threads, and I think you’ll find you’re mistaken.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have links to where I can get replacement pieces? Also, I’m guessing that fiberglass strips and resin, body mesh, and using a special adhesive instead of a welder all go in the 1/2*** category?