The rust kicker.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I had an unexpected issue come up with something else, so I won’t have enough money to do a real good job this year, so it’ll have to wait a bit. I’ll mostly just be doing other little things this year.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I had an unexpected issue come up with something else, so I won’t have enough money to do a real good job this year, so it’ll have to wait a bit. I’ll mostly just be doing other little things this year.
Unfortunately life happens when you are making plans..... believe me I know. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
As for a mig machine, they are not as pricey as you would think. Check out Amazon, your local harbor freight or marketplace online. You don't need a big 220v machine, a 110 will do just fine if not better. We had trouble dialing down my 220v enough to not blow holes. And honestly, a bottle of gas can be more expensive than a machine.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Lincoln MIGPAK 180 from Canadian tire, dad gave me some gift cards he got for Xmas from his company, I got it on a father's day sale for only a few hundred out of pocket. Watch/read some online reviews of machines that you find in your price range. Lots of vids on YouTube with cheap machines. If it was only for one project I'd go cheap, BUT....melting metal is an addictive hobby now. Any excuse to plug that in and make sparks is a good one, I go out of my way to find something to weld. So I'm glad I got a "name brand" machine. Makes getting consumables much easier.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As of right now I’ve got a ax/dc Miller Thunderbolt 150/225 stick welder (I think that’s it) I found on Craigslist for $300!
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point in posting that video was to show you what it looks like if it's your first time and you're trying to do it right. It still looks like monkeybutt.

I agree with the recommendation on a less expensive 110v welder. I have a Miller 211 that can run either 220v or 110v, and it's overkill for almost everything I do. On the plus side, it was the perfect sized welder for making my frame repairs.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any brand recommendations on mig welders?
I think the "big 3" would be Miller, Hobart and Lincoln. Like Eric and myself said, one that has the parts and consumables easy to get. Look at the big box home improvement stores, hardware and farmer stores, they would have consumer grade machines and the consumables in the same isle.