Removing chrome trim on truck body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy fellow chrome haters,
I’m looking to remove the chrome trim, paneling, whatever you call it, cause I’m not a fan of chrome. I might paint over the strip where I removed the trim, but I’d like to not have to. Do y’all know how to get it off and the glue without ruining the paint? Here’s the stuff I’m trying to remove.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI all of it below the black bar is not factory, and it's commonly used to cover up rust damage. If you're unsure about the history of the truck at all, be prepared to unearth some things you don't want to see.

That said, I'm pretty sure most of it is just stuck on with double sided tape. I'd try a heat gun and some fishing line, and/or plastic razor blades.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eraser wheel on a drill after you get the pieces off. You can almost expect to pull some of the red off trying to remove the stainless strips. 3M adhesive remover and plastic razor blades help to get the residuals off.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have those they have been great in that they protected the lower panels that are exposed to all the road damage. Rock, tar, gravel, trail rash. Mine not chrome, polished stainless.
There attached with 3m industrial foam tape, 100% coverage.
To remove use hair dryer or hot/ warm air to soften/ loosen adhesive, then take some fishing line , 50 lb test ? , Attach the fishing to a pair of handles, like a garrotte, peel an edge up slip the line under a saw it back and fourth . As it comes away place a wedge or spacer to prevent it restocking. And repeat till complete. Remove glue tape residue , it's a soft adhesive, can be cleaned with WD40, Power lube , mineral oil. Good luck.