The rust kicker.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What other thread? I just checked all the other threads, and I didn’t see one that I was part of talking about this! df2x4 was talking about removing the chrome trim. I’m asking about getting rid of fender and body rust in preparation to paint. Re-read those threads, and I think you’ll find you’re mistaken.
Well, it just seems like this thread is a natural continuation of that thread. No, biggie. dfx2 nailed it though huh.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to thwart your enthusiasm, most of those place pictured, like the rear bedsides over the tire, behind that molding, the bottom of the fender, are going to turn into big gaping holes the minute you touch them with a grinder. It's well beyond some surface rust. Not that it can't be fixed but it's an involved , and bit of an extensive project. Almost impossible to weld 16-18 gauge with a regular old arc welder. If you want to put paint on it you can't bird turd weld it with porosity or contamination in the weld process. Gasless mig can leave behind flux which can create blisters later. But again somebodies brother's uncle's father's son will jump and down and say gasless mig is the way to do it....

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have links to where I can get replacement pieces? Also, I’m guessing that fiberglass strips and resin, body mesh, and using a special adhesive instead of a welder all go in the 1/2*** category?
panel bond can be it's own disaster for various reasons and doing it that way the results can be short lived. Fiberglass can separate in sheets, The different materials, fiberglass vs. steel have different expansion and contraction rates and it usually spells disaster sooner rather then later. Panel bond can ghost line when the sun hits it and you see the repair like a pancake on the side of the vehicle. Most brands of panel bond products tout micro-spheres in the mix to prevent squeeze out when clamped. So it doesn't lay flat on top of another piece of metal. It has it place in a bodyshop but patch panels isn't one of them you still need to do some welding along with it using it. Used primarily in weld-bond techniques or aluminum panel replacements where rivets are the secondary and also the mechanical form of attachment. It's never used solo.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can find patch panels from LMC, or any parts store would be able to find them. A quick Google search will find them as well.
Fiberglass and body mesh are definitely the definition of 1/2 a$$. One step above foam and Bondo. But it's your rig, you do what you are comfortable with. It's not a easy job, but like eating my mother in laws cooking, small bites at a time will get you through it. Watching videos on YouTube will show you what you are in for.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can find patch panels from LMC, or any parts store would be able to find them. A quick Google search will find them as well.
Fiberglass and body mesh are definitely the definition of 1/2 a$$. One step above foam and Bondo. But it's your rig, you do what you are comfortable with. It's not a easy job, but like eating my mother in laws cooking, small bites at a time will get you through it. Watching videos on YouTube will show you what you are in for.
When I lived up North I can't say I never stuck a wad of newspaper or a piece of cardboard in a hole and packed it full of fiber glass reinforced filler to get one through inspection, the next year I would be doing the same thing on the same vehicle to the even bigger hole.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Drunkcanuk, you're way up north much further than I was, so I know that you know about this phenomena. lol
Lol.....ya, definitely some "creative" bodywork going on up here. Especially since they started spraying some sort of evil liquid on the roads during the winter. Just rusts the crap out of everything. So glad my 91 has not seen snow or rain since 2003. Just a summer toy now. Shares the garage with my Harley and my tools.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay. I have a freind with a mig welder, so I might have him do it. Yeah, I know it’ll not be easy and it’ll probably be expensive, but I want to do this right before it gets worse. Thanks for the help.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw a guy on YouTube take a replacement panel, cut out the right size piece, and then take three inch strips off the leftover panel, and tack them inside the hole. Then he butt welded the panel in place. Should I do that, or just cut the panel bigger than the hole, and weld it in there half a piece at a time?