Roof rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikkle

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got some rust on the roof of my 95 Tahoe and I was wondering how to fix it? It looks like surface rust but on the paint? It goes all the way across the roof in 2 stripes. What's the best way to fix the issue or prevent it from getting worse?
You must be registered for see images attach

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would bet there is more you can’t see that would be revealed if the paint were removed. I had a similar dilemma on my roof with 30+ individual spots that looked like rock chips where the paint was completely gone and the spot rusted. The rest of the paint was full of tiny cracks and I decided to strip the whole roof to see what I was dealing with-glad I did. Each of those dark spots is rust that I treated with phosphoric acid, then prime & paint.

Attachments

• 221F792B-4ABC-45F5-9E9A-056F4F762348.jpeg
    221F792B-4ABC-45F5-9E9A-056F4F762348.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 19

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet there is more you can’t see that would be revealed if the paint were removed. I had a similar dilemma on my roof with 30+ individual spots that looked like rock chips where the paint was completely gone and the spot rusted. The rest of the paint was full of tiny cracks and I decided to strip the whole roof to see what I was dealing with-glad I did. Each of those dark spots is rust that I treated with phosphoric acid, then prime & paint.

Got a gallon of that myself.

Pikkle

Reaction score

I'll look into this, I'm planning on getting the whole thing repainted this spring or summer. Is it ok to leave it until then or should I do the whole strip, treat, prime, and paint?

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll look into this, I'm planning on getting the whole thing repainted this spring or summer. Is it ok to leave it until then or should I do the whole strip, treat, prime, and paint?
Honestly if you’re paying someone to paint it in a few months I don’t see messing with it. Most painters won’t go over someone else’s prep work so they’d likely want to strip back off anything you did yourself. I don’t see the rust getting much worse by the summer-just my thoughts from what I can see in your picture.