Slowing down rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
What is the best way to slow down the rust on my trucks roof? I am not ready to paint it but I’d like to slow the rust as much as possible

Attachments

• IMG_9778.jpeg
    IMG_9778.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9776.jpeg
    IMG_9776.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9775.jpeg
    IMG_9775.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 39

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s already put a hole through the roof skin. No stopping that without cutting out the old and repairing it properly. Do you have water getting in the cab?

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hole is not all the way thru & no water in the headliner yet. Id like to slow it much as possible

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try a rust inhibitor. I wonder how the channel looks underneath. The thing is with any rust inhibitor is that it probably won’t be able to penetrate to everything that’s bad under there. I’m assuming there is more than what we can just see.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it's all the way through and the structure underneath is also rusting. Putting stuff on the outside to slow the rust isn't going to stop it. It's bad enough to continue rusting from the inside out. It needs cut open, cleaned up, some paint/epoxy, then patched.

NYDeer

Reaction score
My DD Honda Fit had bad paint in a few spots when i bought it in 2012, like it was splashed with acid or sone chemical. Eventually, the hood spot rusted through. I wire wheeled the hole edges, hit it with sone rust converter I had. Then filled it completely in with black JB Weld. Did it stop the water going in hood, yes. Does it look good? No. At 195k miles, you earn the right to look anyway you want imho.