Frame Rust: When to be concerned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brooksy64

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have a 98 K1500 with a little rust area forming on the frame, left side, about the area of the driver door hinges. This is a low-dollar ride (large rust holes above wheel wells patched by me with bondo already) but I do want it to hang in there for a long while. I know nothing about welding - if even needed here - but my nephew can. Is there something I should be doing to stop the progress? Photos are the same area, not two different areas.

Attachments

• IMG_7418[1].JPG
    IMG_7418[1].JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7419[1].JPG
    IMG_7419[1].JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7421[1].JPG
    IMG_7421[1].JPG
    74 KB · Views: 64

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
My advice would be to grind away all surface rust / scale until there’s bare metal and see what it looks like. There’s rust converter you could use afterward followed by priming/painting. Or you could use POR-15 or some other sealer like that over it to seal it up.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have a 98 K1500 with a little rust area forming on the frame, left side, about the area of the driver door hinges. This is a low-dollar ride (large rust holes above wheel wells patched by me with bondo already) but I do want it to hang in there for a long while. I know nothing about welding - if even needed here - but my nephew can. Is there something I should be doing to stop the progress? Photos are the same area, not two different areas.
Would recommend what John said aswell. Seems like you caught it pretty early. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it yet, just clean it up before it gets worse.

Just Nobody

Reaction score
I have welded patches in that area before, it one of the first places to look when buying, especially on the drivers side. Clean it up and see how it looks. I use coreseal for a rust neutralizer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't look that early to me, there's always more than meets the eye. Only way to know for sure is to start cleaning and see what you've got.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sometimes stuff can be rotted through and still look like it's solid. I usually bang on stuff with a sharp pick hammer, ice pick, etc. It's better it blows a hole it and handle the repairs accordingly vs. trying to band-aid it thinking it's ok.

Brooksy64

Reaction score
Ok, thanks all. I am working on it with my electric drill with a sand-flapper and wire brush attachments. The other side looks totally normal, so it's just this spot.