1999 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My distributor looked like crap, lots of.. uhm, whats the word for it, the green stuff that was in the cap

I had some few missfires aswell but not anymore, hoped to see some improvement in mpg but nothing to the better. Get around 13mpg right now.
Ideas for improvement? Would love to get 15mpg

My k2500 with the 5.7 only gets 15 mpg if I drive real nice, and it isn't windy - otherwise it is 12-13. It would be a trick to get better with a 7.4..

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This showed up since last....

You must be registered for see images attach

I have new plugs, cap, rotor and wires... Was driving up a steep hill when the burb started to shake like crazy, flashing check engine light and didnt sound right.
Crawled under, found me a huge exhaust leak just before the catalytic converter that havent been there before, could it be the issue here?
O2 sensors and lean mixture or something like that?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This showed up since last....

I have new plugs, cap, rotor and wires... Was driving up a steep hill when the burb started to shake like crazy, flashing check engine light and didnt sound right.
Crawled under, found me a huge exhaust leak just before the catalytic converter that havent been there before, could it be the issue here?
O2 sensors and lean mixture or something like that?
Big exhaust leak? Like someone tried to steal the catalytic converter? Flashing check engine light is a warning sign something is harming the catalytic converters.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big exhaust leak? Like someone tried to steal the catalytic converter? Flashing check engine light is a warning sign something is harming the catalytic converters.

yes! Huge leak, feels like 70% of all the exhaust is going the wrong way, out before the cat.
It actually crossed my mind but no signs of that around the burb or the cat.
There is a gasket of some kind that is almost gone.
Got a new one tomorrow

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been offline for a while, found the problem at the earlier issue, it was a wire to the plugs that had melted so the spark was going that way.

not much have been done with the truck since last, runs and drives great

A bit thirsty with the high fuel prices here in Sweden
About $300 for a full tank of gas

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well god damnit I think that I spoke to soon earlier...
The truck just died today, like key-off died and doesnt fires up again..

No error codes or lights on the dash. I think it gets fuel, after a few seconds on the starter I smell fuel under the hood.
Charging the battery now but have to check for spark after that.

Wasnt that fun, on our way on a mini-vacation with all the 5 kids and doggo.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haha wow... I wish we had those fuel prices over here.
I use 98 octane.
We have 95 in sweden aswell, a little cheaper but it feels like it runs better on 98 :)

Just FYI these trucks were designed to run on 87 octane. Anything higher is a waste unless you've modified things and the PCM is tuned for it.

Years ago I experimented with running 93 in both of my trucks (before the red truck was tuned for 91 octane), they actually seemed to run worse and fuel mileage degraded slightly.

Nordin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ive tried to check the plugs for spark but its hard when Im alone.
Doesnt seem to spark, at all.

tried to measure the coil but not sure if I was doing it right.
I unplugged the wire from the coil to the distributor cap, positive cable from my fluke meter and negative to the negative on battery, no reading.
switched place on + and - still the same result.
Im a plumber, not electrician and I hate electrics