Blower motor help 1999 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did extensive searching before i posted this thread but just wanted to confirm a few things before i started working on my AC
I have a two part question so please stick around to read my second question about Low side pressure readings when you have rear AC.

Some details about my situation

1999 k1500 suburban

The Problem - My blow motor failed a few months ago so i went ahead and replaced the blower motor and the resistor. Recently my blower at high seems weak and if i put it on any speed other than high or low it smells like burning plastic pretty strong.

The process that led to this - On the old parts the resistor was very crispy i noticed also that the black wire that connects to the blower motor was fried. the plastic was burned and discolored and filled with gunk i believe this supplies the power to the blower motor, I cut the plastic connector off and attempted to put a new spade style connector on the wire and then connect it to the blower motor but it was very janky.

Its safe to assume my poor power connector probably fried the resistor or at the least caused the smell?
Does anyone know what style connector the OEM one is? Do i need to use that specific connector or will any style connector work as long as its secure?

Second question related to low side PSI

My suburban is equipped with a rear AC, when i connect a gauge to the low side with just the front AC on my psi reads 45 however when i turn on the rear ac the low psi reads much higher, probably too high. Is there a trick to balancing the two?
my AC works decent with just the front on but with front and rear it gets worse.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On my family's original '99 Burb we ended up replacing the dashboard switch panel in the center stack, after replacing the motor and resistor didn't fix it. I just pulled the blower motor out of my '97 crew cab, checked it, and replaced the HVAC 25A fuse in the dashboard fuse box, and the system is working again. I probably will replace the blower motor eventually, it is the original 27 year old unit. But as long as it's working, I'm not messing with it too much.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my family's original '99 Burb we ended up replacing the dashboard switch panel in the center stack, after replacing the motor and resistor didn't fix it. I just pulled the blower motor out of my '97 crew cab, checked it, and replaced the HVAC 25A fuse in the dashboard fuse box, and the system is working again. I probably will replace the blower motor eventually, it is the original 27 year old unit. But as long as it's working, I'm not messing with it too much.
Im remebering now i did replace the switch behind the dash at the same time it was bad.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replaced the resistor in my suburban the air from the vents smelled like burning oil for a few weeks. I think they're coated in oil during or after manufacturing and it burns off as the resistor is used. Mine stopped smelling eventually and works fine.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I replaced the resistor in my suburban the air from the vents smelled like burning oil for a few weeks. I think they're coated in oil during or after manufacturing and it burns off as the resistor is used. Mine stopped smelling eventually and works fine.
i ran the speeds on the two medium settings for awhile this morning and it did smell for a little bit but now its gone just like you said, it also seems like the max speed blows like it should...