1999 Chevrolet K2500 7.4L - Potential purchase; need feedback on condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a nice truck. But we all know how pics can be deceiving. I have 2 of these now, can’t wait to get em on the road. In NYS, they aren’t far behind what Commifornia does, but I’ve never seen Callie emissions here. I believe the pumps are on the drivers side, all the years Ive seen these trucks, I never saw one. My tundra has the pumps, pain in the a$$.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any photo (angles, areas) I could request that would demonstrate frame damage? I think above all else, I'm just concerned with buying a truck with a bent frame. I could rebuild the transmission myself. If the engine is shot, I could buy a crate engine. All fixable. But, it'd be a total waste of money if I (personally) bought a truck with a bent frame. I'll be calling them in a couple of hours (they are two hours behind me) to further discuss.

Devon 11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t see how they couldn’t spare one person to drop a truck off probably in the same town than head back. Or to even drop it off at their lot after they close and pick it up once their done. Just seems like there is a lot they won’t do IMO

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The truck looks strait and clean, but if your really concerned about frame damage have them take a picture of the frame between the cab and the box, where it turns up at approx. 45*. That is where most frame damage will occur. Also take a look at the cab mounts, it they are rusted or broken through.

BUT being a crew cab that frame is the thickest of all GMT400 frames. It would be pretty difficult to bend that one, especially since it looks mostly rust-free.

I agree, for $10k they should be able to take it to an alignment shop for you.

Also once this to consider, it looks like the rear tires are bald and the fronts are decent. That means burnouts and hot-rodding abuse.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems legit enough. The Vortec 454 is an awesome setup couple that with a 4l80e and it is one of the tougher combos you can find in a gm. They had injector issues that cause long starts when warm and have some valve spring/lifter issues that cause a tick or a little bit of a missfire. A stated above it is a one off type intake design that can be problematic to source parts for. I had one in a burb and loved it. It never hunted for gears and always had a ton of torque even in a heavy burb with 35s. 10gs in todays market isnt bad even though it makes me sick to think about it. But it is a shortbox crew cab 4x4. Look at any truck that has those options and 10K is a decent deal.
My personal experiences with the vortec 454 I learned a lot.
1. The distributor caused me a huge pain in the ass when I removed everything to do injectors. It has to be within 2 degrees or the damn thing will not start.
2. The fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator was finicky.
3. If the injectors and intake gaskets haven't been replaced you can almost count on having to change them.
My personal opinion on the chrome skirts don the sides on the bottom are that they are trash. They seem to cause accelerated rust in those areas.
All in all it looks pretty solid but I would have them at least smog it and if it passes cali smog test you can pretty much count on it being decent running as long as they use a reputable place for testing.
Good luck because in Texas people seem to think these things are worth 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.