1998 GMC Sierra ECSB z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Stubbs' 98 k1500 ECSB Build

Figured I'd start a build on my truck. This is my first, as I'm 16. Bought it for $2500 with Oregon plates (still good for another year :fca5278d: ) but in order to smog I need to install 2 new "california" specific catalytic converters and a o2 sensor which were another $600 on top (ordered, I can smog the truck hopefully within the next week). Already did quite a bit to it, looked like a grandpa truck with sidesteps. Did the usual fix-up with changing the oil, replaced axle shaft seals in the back, cleaned the inside for a day, took off camper tiedowns, bed tiedowns, chrome trim in the wheel wells, the plastic thing on the bottom of the front bumper, and some more. The engine has a slight rod knock so hopefully I can make it into summer then I can either fix the block or just get a new crate engine. One of the two!

I like the fact that this has a floor shifter rather than the push button 4x4, a billion times nicer. Also has the 3rd door which makes life much easier. It looks like the guy was trying to tow a camper in the bed (something a 3/4 ton should be used for, not a 1/2 ton!) cause there are also airbags under the bed. Who knows, I bought it off a younger guy so I'll never know!

I'll get better pictures when I get a chance, a iPhone doesn't suffice!

You must be registered for see images attach

As of today:

In the future I'm going to work on some bumpers, remove the side moldings, and get a black chevy grille in the front. Maybe some new lights and a headache rack, we'll see!

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
Thank you both!

The past few days I've done a bit of cosmetics. I removed the trim from the inside wheel wells as it was discolored and some spots were dented in. Removed the plastic piece under the front bumper for a bit more ground clearance. Removed the side tiedowns for a cleaner look but I hate the 4 holes that are now in the bed. Tempting just to put them back on. I got the catalytic converters and o2 sensor in. Passed smog with flying colors and is all legal (insurance, reg, and new Cali plates the DMV had in their office, guess no more waiting for them to be shipped to you!). People at school are jealous of my truck, prolly cause it's clean!

98GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. I love these trucks in white.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Alright. Time for an update!

I've put almost 1,000 miles on it and $250 in gas for the two months I've owned it. Bought some subs ($100 for 2x MTX audio and a kenwood amp from the early 2000's) off a friend and my truck rattles!

Ran into a friend at walmart (figures, biggest store in my town) and parked next to her 1996 k2500. My truck sits a good 2 inches taller than hers. Since my truck is "cute" she wants to trade me hers. Both have 166k! But her A/C works and mine doesn't.

Tempted to get a set of glass headlights in the future, but using the toothpaste trick and putting 10 minutes into each side cleaned them up pretty well! Maybe I'll eventually try the same trick with the tail lights.

Went to the junkyard yesterday (which had 6 or 7 pre-95 GMT400s, no Tahoes or Suburbans) and there was only one truck like mine in there. I needed a hood release latch from inside the cab but it was broke. However, I did walk away for $10 with a hub cap since one was fading and a set of good looking Chevy 2500 badges (truck is a heavy half now :D ). I need to go back soon and pick up front floor mats, back window latch, and a windshield wiper tank with the motor.

Also, it was fair week and I was going to leave at 10pm, and my headlights turned on but no gauge cluster lights. Checked fuses for half an hour then said screw it and drove home. The next day I pulled the Park LPS fuse out and put the same fuse back in and it worked, so I have no clue.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Alright, had a bit of fun with my truck! Towed a 86 F150 to the junkyard. My buddy got $100 for it and $40 of that went into my gas tank. And I also bought a jack since the one in my truck was missing (from a 91 3500 dually, doesn't fit in the box right but it works).
attachment.php

I still need to figure out this image thing. I will soon enough!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 286

gstubbz

Reaction score
Alright. A little update. I've put just about 2k miles on it since I've owned it, rear ended a girl on my way to lunch (looked over at the rear end that happened next to me with an acura and a jeep wrangler, spent $180 on a new ebay bumper and swapped it for her (99 Ram 1500), and insurance wasn't involved yet her dad is a cop :D ). My truck's damage is the front bumper and the stone deflector? piece. Then got a good deal on the toolbox. Traded a buddy an iPhone 4 since he had a 3GS and in a few ways the 4 was an upgrade! I would have liked a diamond plate, but take what you can get! Looks slick in white!

Pic was in the McDonald's parking lot about half an hour after the toolbox install. Looked pretty good besides the light!

Last edited:

gstubbz

Reaction score
So it's been over a year since I last posted about this truck. It's been my daily driver since day one and it now has 185,600 on it. The rod-knocking engine is a champ and keeps on going strong! I've added an overhead console and in progress of wiring it all up.

Also, I took the diesel bumper off my 94 6.5 before I sold it and swapped it on. Tonight I ordered the bracket and screws to put the licence plate back on the front bumper.

Then within the past week I bought new tires (265/75/16 10PLY Kelly Safari TSR) and a black diamond-plate low profile toolbox from Tractor Supply. Truck actually looks good.

I also smoked the taillights and after time I did not like them. I'll be ordering the OEM original tails and some glass composite headlights for the front.