1997 K3500 454 Vortec Tune Up Parts Advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a regional problem. Here in Oklahoma, it'll be tight, but cut the tail off and put an impact socket on the old O2 sensor, work it a bit, and it'll come out. I've done it plenty of times.
That's the "secret" solution to the real-world problem IF (big IF) you have room to get the impact wrench in there. I've had to remove exhaust pipes to get the sensor out. In the fantasy world, the sensor wouldn't need that sort of power to remove--the thing was coated in anti-seize and only tightened to about 30 ft/lbs; how tough can it be to take out? :)

"O2 sensor sockets" are more for installation than removal. I bought a Wright 7/8 deepwell impact socket just for O2 sensors. The internal dimensions of the socket fit over a non-broken O2 sensor. Most impact sockets won't, the socket is necked-down between the hex and the drive end. The Wright socket is big enough below the hex for the O2 sensor body to fit inside. This socket is Made in USA by a family-owned company, very high quality, and easy enough to buy via Amazon; 'cause your local stores probably don't carry Wright tools.

www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-4928-6-Point-Impact/dp/B002VKBRCC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1YUJ9Z18TGHG2&dchild=1
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The hard part is when the threads in the sensor bung come out with the sensor. (or are too screwed-up to use as-is.) I see this about 1/3 of the time. Thread-restoring taps are a Godsend.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of the dozens of O2 sensors I've replaced, I've had that happen once, and that was when I was young and dumb and when it bound up I just cranked on it until it came out. Back then you couldn't find an O2 sensor tap, so I carefully ran the new sensor in and out a few times until the threads cleaned up. It held.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think this is a regional problem. Here in Oklahoma, it'll be tight, but cut the tail off and put an impact socket on the old O2 sensor, work it a bit, and it'll come out. I've done it plenty of times.

I do agree that O2 sensors slow down rather than fail outright, and that's why most drivers don't recognize the problem until it's significant.
I suppose I ought to replace my O2 sensors since I have no idea how old they are. Truck is new to me.
No codes on the scanner.
I am doing a full tune and a reprogrammed computer so I guess it's a good idea.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can either do the labor to check your cross counts to see if they're bad, or you can just throw some cash at new O2 sensors. If it's an older vehicle running rich and I can't pull data stream to read the cross counts, I'm much more likely to just buy new ones.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back then you couldn't find an O2 sensor tap, so I carefully ran the new sensor in and out a few times until the threads cleaned up. It held.
USUALLY, the same threads as an 18mm spark plug, like an old Ford or Chrysler industrial engine.

18mm X 1.50. Get a STARTING tap, not a Plug tap or Bottoming tap. I bought a Plug tap, and it's almost useless. Lisle and others make thread restoring taps for that size, that's what you really want most of the time.
www.amazon.com/Lisle-12230-Oxygen-Sensor-Thread/dp/B000XETMW0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good info! I'll look into replacing mine and see if I get any benefits. Any preference to brand on these things? I see A1 sells a set of all 4 for ~$100.
When it's me, I buy Denso, NTK or Delco O2 sensors. I'd be happy to try Delphi. Not Bosch, not off-brand cheapies.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm considering MSD plug wires for the '97 K3500 7.4 Dually.
Does this look like a good part number? #32109.
Anyone using these?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-32109

$184 seems...excessive.

I was going to suggest Summit cut-to-fit helical-wound plug wires; but they've got the wrong distributor-end boots for Vortec.

I guess all they have is hateful, ugly blue preassembled wires.
www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-867826/make/chevrolet/model/k2500/year/1997

But at $44, made in USA...I'd keep the hood shut and try to forget the insulation color.