1997 Chevy Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeNeave_237

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Suburban and it’s been sitting for a reason and that being with it’s exhaust. I was driving to work and the Engine started misfiring and started stalling. In short the engine kept flooding and I replaced the spark plugs and wires. I would always have to push it hard and It ended up being the cats I took them off. They were clogged up and I’m sure was the cause of it flooding. So as of now the Cats are off and it’s very clappy and loud. I’m not sure if I should weld in pipe and break off into two pipes out the back with flowmasters or something?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The EPA approved answer is to shop around and find new replacement cats to re-install. After the cats, you can do anything you want with the exhaust. Flowmasters give a classic sound, Magnaflows are a little more reserved but still have a nice growl.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure you know but your ses will be on unless you tune it out. That said is your burb exempt from emissions where you live?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing. They have ports for all 4 sensors. Catalyst efficiency codes are always active, but they were with the failed/failing cats too. Those codes do not affect performance.

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '96 Burb has factory true duals. Cats are in place, followed by a magnaflow with a turndown on each side. Sounds deep and throaty but not super loud.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you use a cat back for a truck cause I'm having trouble finding one listed for suburbans
I bought a cat back system from Rock Auto in the summer for my 99 C2500 Suburban. Twin pipes into muffler with single outlet with exit on passenger side behind the rear wheel.