1996 vortec 454 performance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i got a 96 vortec 454 with 240k miles on it and its got power but i feel like it could use more i got a 98 454 with 163k that i plan on swaping int but was wondering if i but bigger injectors, shorty headers, punch my cats, delete my ac, put electric fans on it, and get a custom tune would there be much of a power differece to make it worth spending the money?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means; but from the little I've read letting these 454's breath and opening the exhaust does help. The injectors I'm not sure about, but the tune would probably do wonders, along with a 411 pcm swap. From the miles I've put on mine in the short time I've had it, I feel like there is some untapped potential.

90droptop

Reaction score
Not that I'm an expert either but why not freshen up the 98 with some head work a decent cam the headders you mentioned and a tune that should help it inhale and exhale much better. As for the larger injectors if you still have the factory ones may I suggest five-o motorsports for injector replacement.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means; but from the little I've read letting these 454's breath and opening the exhaust does help. The injectors I'm not sure about, but the tune would probably do wonders, along with a 411 pcm swap. From the miles I've put on mine in the short time I've had it, I feel like there is some untapped potential.

Not that I'm an expert either but why not freshen up the 98 with some head work a decent cam the headders you mentioned and a tune that should help it inhale and exhale much better. As for the larger injectors if you still have the factory ones may I suggest five-o motorsports for injector replacement.

i know the injectors in my truck are going bad now because it starts hard but the ones in the other motor seemed fine right now my truck has duels out the back with no mufflers but factory cats and i really dont want to tear into that motor to far and also whats the 411 pcm swap

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the factory injectors will fail eventually along with the fpr. you wont get any performance just from injectors, if you get ones that are rated to flow more you will need a tune for them weather you do other mods or not. I didn't notice any gain from exhaust till I removed the cats when they got plugged up, ive had various muffler/tailpipe combos on it since new, always duals. most noticeable gain was from the tune and trans-go shift kit. the k&n intake sounds cool but I didn't feel a gain. common practice is to gap the plugs at 45-50 instead of the 60 called for, seems to be smoother at all rpms. mine has 201k on it and has as much now as it ever did plus a little more with the tune, it out runs my friends that both have stock 2000 454s. go to fsc there is a huge vortec 454 performance thread.