1996 C1500 Reg Cab AC not working - what all do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced compressor, condenser, orifice tube, and receiver/dryer on my Trailblazer last summer. Because of the way the vehicle is built, I also replaced the 250,000-mile original radiator. (Radiator and condenser come out and go back into the vehicle as an assembly.)

I've owned manifold gauges for decades, everything else--vacuum pump, flush gun, fan clutch removal tool, orifice tube removal tool, etc. I "borrowed" from O'Reillys loaner-tool program. I did buy a new-style refrigerant-can tap tool as the one I had was for R-12.

As said, you not only need to vacuum the system to as close to perfect vacuum as possible, you need to leave it under vacuum for at least overnight. This is more than a leak-test; although don't underestimate the importance of vacuum leak testing. This is also a moisture-removal method. Water will boil at 70 degrees if the vacuum is high enough. Vacuuming the system removes moisture that would otherwise freeze/thaw and interfere with proper operation.

I, too, used the Nylog Blue as a seal lube. The seals on my Trailblazer were different from the plain O-rings I was used to.

Modern A/C work involves looking at a spec sheet, taking the system capacity as gospel, and installing EXACTLY the specified amount of refrigerant. Thousands of years ago, we used the system capacity spec as a rough guide. We'd install most of the specified charge, cram a thermometer in the dash vents, run the A/C system at fast idle. We'd add refrigerant slowly until we got the maximum cooling/lowest dash temperature; then add a quarter-pound to account for some future leakage. Newer A/C systems don't leak like the older ones--so I forego the "added quarter-pound". (In the end, you'll wind up very near the stated capacity.)

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is rad. That is all. Carry on. :p

Related thread here:

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced both the high and low valves, low was definitely leaking when i got the truck. There is dye in the system too.

I performed the vacuum test with these new AC tools. It is indicating there is a leakdown.

I have not done anything further, saving for extra cash to move forward (i plan on replacing probably everything but the thing in the dash) and intended receiver of truck got kicked out of english class so we're at a bit of a standstill on this.

will circle back when im able to do something, and really appreciate all the help with this!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as I'm concerned, it should be standard-operating-procedure to replace every rubber seal in the system. Normally, I'd say "O-rings"; but newer vehicles have more-sophisticated metal-clad rubber bits that seal the tubes to each other, and to the compressor.

There may be other leaks as well--but I'd start with the rubber seals. They're not expensive; and you're going to have the system open anyway--might as well open it ALL up.

A refrigerant leak detector makes life much easier if you have evidence of a leak. But you have to have some refrigerant under pressure in the system for the refrigerant leak detector to sniff.

Dye may make the refrigerant leak detector moot. But in that case you need both refrigerant pressure and flow; and that means enough refrigerant to carry the oil around. And that means you need a nearly fully-charged system, run long enough to leave a dye trail. And then fixing the leak means discharging the system again to replace whatever is leaking. Pain in the tuckus.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I ordered an ac kit from rockauto. but it appears they sent me the wrong oil bc the compressor says its filled with pag46 6.6 oz, and kit came with pag 100 oil? also come to find out rockauto has no phone number :thumbsdown:

also the condensor just came in. does this look right to you?? every picture i can find the condensor is straight. from what i can see looking into small area in front of truck, mine is straight. the PHOTO ONLINE doesnt appear bent. Is this correct or a factory defect??
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they sent me the wrong oil bc the compressor says its filled with pag46 6.6 oz, and kit came with pag 100 oil? also come to find out rockauto has no phone number :thumbsdown:

also the condensor just came in. does this look right to you??

That condenser is bent.

You can always drain the oil out of the compressor, and then use whatever PAG oil you want in the system. The different viscosities are not incompatible AFAIK.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always drain the oil out of the compressor, and then use whatever oil you want in the system.
The different viscosities are not incompatible AFAIK.
Yes, drain the oil out of the compressor, measure how much came out, and replace the same amount with your PAG 100. Then make up the difference between what you put in the compressor, to get a total of 8 oz (unless you have rear A/C too), and put the rest in your receiver/dryer. Before putting on the belt, turn the compressor by hand a couple turns to distribute the oil through it. Now, you can charge the system and install the belt.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK thanks alot. i was thinking about returning the whole kit but maybe ill just return the oil and definately the condensor. the compressor says use pag46 so i guess ill buy that. hopefully the return process is easy and they dont expect me to pay for shipping.

i got the UAC KT4193A which comes with a sanden clone.