1996 C1500 Reg Cab AC not working - what all do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O-rings and "Dual O-ring fittings"

I've recently noticed the discusssion in the 1998 GM service manual about "dual O-ring" fittings. I've added a snippet from the 1998 service manual on this topic.

I often order a kit of AC O-rings too, just to have them around. RockAuto and others have them, an assortment of different sizes for a few bucks. Look here for something by the name of "complete system kit"

CHEVROLET > 1996 > C1500 PICKUP > 5.7L V8 > Heat & Air Conditioning > A/C System O-Rings / Seals

It's likely the kit you received has all the O-rings you need, but...

NAPA has a nice selection IMHO of AC O-rings and valves, should you need anything. Maybe other retailers do as well; I've only gone to NAPA for such items.

Attachments

• GMT400 dual o-ring seals HVAC.pdf
    798.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well cockauto is back at it again. just received the second refrigerant line which is damaged and cut open. box is in perfect condition and they just threw it in there with about a million air bubbles like it's going to make up for the fact they are sending out BS. this company just sucks. amazon only going forward. not worth trying to save 5% on junk parts with no customer service. just use them for the parts lookup and buy elsewhere.

Attachments

• REFRIGERANTLINE.jpg
    REFRIGERANTLINE.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 17
  • CONDENSER.jpg
    CONDENSER.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PAG.jpg
    PAG.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 17

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh wow. Last time I bought stuff from them it was a good experience. Bought tons of stuff too, over the years. But yeah, it's been awhile. At it again? What else have they subjected you to?

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now they have stopped responding to email and just closed the ticket. rockauto.com is a real loser of a company.

"This is an automated message to let you know that your email could not be received because Ticket 100379758 has been closed."

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
now they have stopped responding to email and just closed the ticket. rockauto.com is a real loser of a company.

"This is an automated message to let you know that your email could not be received because Ticket 100379758 has been closed."
Wow; that sucks.

I've dealt with a couple packaging issues with them in the past and didn't have any issue returning the items, but that was a few years ago. Things change.

Problem I've had with Amazon is getting bogus stuff. Sometimes you'll get returned items that have been repackaged. Sometimes you'll get stuff claimed as "new" when it was very clearly used. A great example I got were some TPMS sensors that were genuine Mopar part #'s but were very clearly take-offs, had the tiny rubber crumb dust all over the potting material, nut installed on the stem, etc. and were actually packaged into heat-sealed bags with an "instruction sheet" trying very hard to look like new items. I thought they'd fight me for sure on the return but it wasn't a big deal. After 2nd round of useless sensors though I was out $40 labor EACH TIME installing them at the tire shop, can't blame them, they had to break the tire beads both times and swap the sensors.. I said fck Amazon for those parts and cashed up for them from an actual Dodge dealer (online.)

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Receiving damaged or bad parts seems to be more widespread than one would want to think. When I was getting all the trim parts for my truck, from LMC Truck, Rock Auto, Classic Parts, Amazon, some of the parts, especially thin aluminum ones, were damaged. I had no problems getting them replaced. Was I upset about the way some were packaged? Yes, but I just expect it happening sometimes, hopefully not too often. What I like about Amazon, all I have to do is take the return item to a UPS store and they'll wrap and ship it back with no questions asked. Plus I get 5% discount for Prime credit card and free shipping on most orders. I shop around still to find to best prices including shipping before I pull the trigger. Unfortunately, it's the world we live in :33:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you already have a compressor but its important to note that for the Harrison HT6 and HR6 and H6 or whatever the **** they go by the most important thing when mounting them is to mount them properly so it doesnt leak because of the seals on the body may leak if you torque it down weird. There is also a sanden plug n play apparently that works well if yours ends up toast but the only other QOL thing is make sure you have good caps on the ports when done. They have an o ring in side and your refrigerant can slowly leak without them on.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the most important thing when mounting them is to mount them properly

Good point. In particular, (1) set the compressor on the mounting pads, then (2) see if it rocks at all (meaning it's only sitting on three of the four pads); if it rocks, file / shim the appropriate mounting point until it doesn't. Add bolts, tighten... tightening in an X pattern may not be necessary (since it's already sitting properly) but it sure as heck doesn't hurt (and so I would do so myself).