AC repair/overview on a 30 year old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck as a 1992 Blazer. I'm looking to get my a/c working again and have had quotes from $750-1500, with my trusted shop saying to expect it to keep climbing as other parts fail. The previous owner told me the compressor needs to be replaced. The plug for the compressor is gone. There is a paper clip cheating the high pressure switch on. On top of that it's R12, so it needs to be converted. I don't have any of the tools for the pressure side of the system, but parts changing is cake. I do industrial mechanical/electrical/fabrication for a living and have done engine swaps, but I have zero HVAC experience. If I were to tackle this myself, what parts would I want to get and what needs to be changed? I could probabl save some money doing the mechanical bits and then bringing it to a shop, but I really don't know what's there past the compressor. Or even which compressor to get from Rock Auto.

Redduc1199

Reaction score
I’m not an AC expert by any means but I’ve converted a few tractors. If I was going to do this job I would start with a new compressor. Without looking it up you’ll either need adapters to go from r12 to 134 or new lines depending on where the adapters are located. I don’t know if they are on the lines or compressor. Get a receiver/dryer and an expansion valve or orfice tube depending on the system. I would take everything apart before ordering parts. Most of the tractors, the AC line connections are gauled fast. When and if you can get the connections apart the threads are destroyed.
Look up AP air for parts. Hopefully you can get your system going without needing to replace the condenser or evaporator.

Last edited:

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they may not have them, but it does only list one option which is nice. I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out.

Redduc1199

Reaction score
Definitely call them. They’re a ton of help. I use them all the time for tractor parts and heavy truck parts. I have a dealer account through them and prices are very respectable. And if you do get a compressor do the research and make sure it has the correct type and amount of oil in it before you install it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck as a 1992 Blazer. I'm looking to get my a/c working again and have had quotes from $750-1500, with my trusted shop saying to expect it to keep climbing as other parts fail. The previous owner told me the compressor needs to be replaced. The plug for the compressor is gone. There is a paper clip cheating the high pressure switch on. On top of that it's R12, so it needs to be converted. I don't have any of the tools for the pressure side of the system, but parts changing is cake. I do industrial mechanical/electrical/fabrication for a living and have done engine swaps, but I have zero HVAC experience. If I were to tackle this myself, what parts would I want to get and what needs to be changed? I could probabl save some money doing the mechanical bits and then bringing it to a shop, but I really don't know what's there past the compressor. Or even which compressor to get from Rock Auto.
Just buy Acdelco parts for your truck, install them and then have garage charge system. It’s that easy, least for me it was.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wanna make it a little easier? Go to the ACDelco website, under parts lookup you enter your trucks VIN. It will come back with the parts for your truck. I believe with R12 elimination all new/ rebuilt compressors are R134 fittings only. The part number for a compressor kit ( gaskets, orings, expansion valve, and more parts) has been on sale, off and on, on Amazon and Rockauto. Follow the directions on compressor about oil fill and type. It might cost a little more but the value and less grief is worth it. I used it, good deal. Good luck.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would replace the condenser with a parallel-flow type.

The old R4 compressors tend to be noisy and tend to leak. I would consider a Sanden compressor retrofit. Brackets are available, etc.

The choice is yours.

Good luck!

Last edited:

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just buy Acdelco parts for your truck, install them and then have garage charge system. It’s that easy, least for me it was.

I think you missed the part where I said I don't even know all the parts I need to change lmao

Wanna make it a little easier? Go to the ACDelco website, under parts lookup you enter your trucks VIN. It will come back with the parts for your truck. I believe with R12 elimination all new/ rebuilt compressors are R134 fittings only. The part number for a compressor kit ( gaskets, orings, expansion valve, and more parts) has been on sale, off and on, on Amazon and Rockauto. Follow the directions on compressor about oil fill and type. It might cost a little more but the value and less grief is worth it. I used it, good deal. Good luck.

That sounds super convenient, didn't even know it was an option.

One shop also said something about the lines needing to be cleaned out, can I just pull them and rinse them or blow them out?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ACDelco kit is setup for replacement of the items that wear out or age out of life service. If the dryer is not included the part number is on the ACDelco listing.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that something you'd recommend I replace?