1996 C1500 Reg Cab AC not working - what all do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1996 C1500 4.3 reg cab 8ft bed and the A/C is not working, just blows ambient air. Is there anything simple I might be able to check to see if the system is salvagable?

I was thinking if the system is bad, to maybe buy a kit or the individual parts needed to replace and flush the AC system. I have never done this but have been reading up here and it appears the sanden unit is the way to go? Which brands are good for components? I dont know if i have the ht6 or not. Looking at rockauto, also not sure if i need the parrellel flow condensor or the serpantine condensor? After reading it looks like if a component is bad, it would be a good idea to replace everything so i would want to go that route.

looks like i ned a manifold gauge set, a vac pump, and some adapters. any recommendations for these?

thanks for any help!

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looks like i have a harrison ht6. i suppose the ac kits probably use inferior parts and would like to buy the parts seperately. i am adding them to the cart now and sticking mostly with oem.

is this something i can buy all the parts that fit the truck, except the sanden compressor and use that? or would going sanden require me to use different parts?

spf1268

The Dude Abides..
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the AC system for my 96 5.0L regular cab and got all of my parts from Rock Auto.
They were the cheapest shipped to me. Not sure if the V6 part numbers are the same as mine.
Here is the component list I ordered:
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1642370272407.png
    1642370272407.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 25

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the replies! that valve with cap facing toward the front of the truck, it is leaking and the oil has a blue tint, what does that mean? and it may be just the way the air is circling around under the hood, but it feels like air possibly coming out of accumulator where it goes into the cab. maybe it just needs a smaller repair, im not sure. truck has 130k and really good shape.

spf1268

The Dude Abides..
Reaction score
I'm on my 6th OBS truck/Tahoe now, and I throw the same set of AC parts at each one when the AC stops blowing cold around 100k miles. My current 1996 C1500 just hit 99k miles and the AC did not work when I bought it.
It blows ice cold after the rebuild.

90 K2500

Reaction score
OK great thread. When I bought my 1990 K2500 the seller had just paid $600 by a shop to have his AC system replaced. Looks like cost of parts is about half. OEM may be more than Rock Auto. How much is the refridgerant?
Also what equipment/ tooling needed for backyard do it your self repairs.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're only gonna do your 1 vehicle, go to Harried Fraught and get a set of gauges and their vacuum pump. Then some R134A, O-rings, schraeder valves and tool for them. Of course, you're gonna save with volume purchases.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't forget flushing out parts of the system which you didn't replace.