1994 C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed to K3500 Short Bed Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The leafs appear to be. They take the same dorman part number as the GMT400 for the rear shackle, and front anchor bolt, and they fit fine on the GMT400 axle perches.

This JUST is the springs themselves. I know the GMT800 axles have different perch width. (or so i'm told) But yes, i haven't seen any reason that would lead me to believe these are not going to work.

any benefit to gmt800 leaf springs over gmt400 units other than another source of supply?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
any benefit to gmt800 leaf springs over gmt400 units other than another source of supply?

i have ZERO firsthand experience with GMT800's period. So i couldn't answer that.

And I actually think i'm going to try to bust my GMT400 spring bolts free first, see if i can save a hundred bucks on shackles since my truck is rust free. If i can't get them to bust free (and i use the 800's) i'll find out first hand though!

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
A little bit of progress...

got the hubs on, chassis is now rolling again. A couple more weeks and i'll buy the steering box/tie rods and will be ready for the swap. only using good quality replacement parts. I'd rather wait than go cheap as i dont want to be doing any of this crap again anytime soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also FINALLY got the matching vent piece for the dash. If you look back in older posts, that piece was red. Not burgundy like the rest of the dash.

And then.....

I use a bluetooth transmitter for my daily radio needs because i don't like aftermarket stereos in the 88-94 trucks. They just look out of place IMO. Well, obviously that takes up my only power outlet. So charging the phone becomes a challenge.

So..

I found these in my garage (bought a looonggg time ago) and decided i was going to add some charging ports.

Well after i got started, i realized. Why look at that blue screen bluetooth adapter if i don't need to. So i put another power socket one right below it.

And obviously i wanted to make sure it was removable. I doubt i ever go back to a front bench seat, or yank out the console, but now if i do, it's a simple unplug.

Overall, i'm very happy with it. It keeps my bluetooth adapter hidden, still functions great. and keeps my cords and such all hidden.

Would encourage this mod to anyone, but particularly the 88-94 guys with center consoles. Ovbiously we are limited what we can do with 1 power outlet.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, this is a great swap! Very similar to what I want to do. I really want a 97-00 CCSB for my next truck. Keep up the good work!

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Last major update, the crew cab short bed frame is a steering box install away from ready.

Got all of the new steering parts on. Idler arm, tie rods, stabilizer. Picking up the steering box in the following days, pitman arm is here. All AC Delco parts, MOOG problem solver ball joints.

That completes the chassis overall, all new ball joints, UCA's, CV's, shocks, SB links, fuel tank, fuel lines brake lines, motor mounts, and transmission front seal, and transfer case gasket. The t-case and transmission are good used units. The leafs and rear axle will be from my C3500 chassis.

Plan to start on the swap next weekend. Luckily i have access to a 2 post lift which should make the swap relatively easy. Or, As i say now...

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Also did an interior mod that i should've done years ago. I remembered that my console was a 96 (darker grey shade plastics)

Homelink insert. Got it wired in, programming gave me a little trouble, so i'll have to mess with it another day when i have time to climb up to the opener to calibrate everything.

And a few interior shots for those who appreciate the 88-94 garnet cloth.

A little dirty right now... it's winter and i've gotten lazy on cleaning the inside.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing this makes me wish I had time to clean up my front end real good and get it painted up.

Looking forward to seeing this come together more and more, are you going to run the Racelines on the CCSB or the Chummins?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Seeing this makes me wish I had time to clean up my front end real good and get it painted up.

Looking forward to seeing this come together more and more, are you going to run the Racelines on the CCSB or the Chummins?

This CCSB will be running the PY0's. The Chummins will eventually get the racelines. Only reason those wheels aren't on there right now is because it's in primer, and in the (long) process of being painted.