1994 C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed to K3500 Short Bed Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
As many of you know here is my 94 C3500 CCLB. It's a rust free Arizona truck currently with 407k. My thread "1994 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Build Thread" covers the whole build.

Lately however, that thread has been filled with a bunch of content relating to the restoration of a crew cab short bed frame. So, I figured this truck now needs a new thread.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just to quickly cover everything...

A few years ago i made the decision that i wanted to get behind the wheel of a 4x4. Living in the Midwest, 4x4 isn't required, but it sure makes life easier. Having two C3500 crew cabs, i really didn't want to sell one to buy a 4x4 feeling that considering their mileage, i wouldn't be able to get equal value in a sale or trade for a 4x4. I had always wanted a crew cab short bed, but i strongly prefer the 88-94 interiors. Unfortunately as many of you know, the crew cab short bed wasn't made in 1994; (at least from the factory) so the truck i would want in a crew cab short bed doesn't really exist.

Until i started brainstorming, my truck has 407k, a worn out front end, a transmission on it's last leg, and a 4:10 rear axle which isn't particularly ideal for a daily driver with a lower revving 6.5 diesel engine. This truck has already been converted from DS4 to DB2 mechanical injection, and is a great runner. But needs to consistently operate at a lower RPM to live an easier life... Now I could've solid axle swapped the current chassis and re-geared, but i really don't need two crew cab long beds, don't really want to sacrifice ride or drivability, and have always wanted a crew cab short bed. (My other truck a C3500 Long Bed Chummins)

So, i developed a friendship with a guy on the "GM OBS Crew Cabs" Facebook page parting out a 99 K2500 CCSB. Drove from central IL to Kansas to pick this frame up, determined to build my dream truck. With an engine/interior option that never existed from the factory with this cab/bed configuration.

A 1994 K3500 Crew Cab Short Bed, Mechanical Injected 6.5 diesel, AT, floor shift NP241 with 3:73 gears in my favorite color; Victory Red. (technically it'd be a 93 K3500 CCSB)

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I know many of these photos have already been posted on the other thread, but since that will no longer be used since the truck will no longer be a long bed...

This should cover just about everything.

14 Hour Round Trip to bring it home.

Picked up a red short bed, mostly rust free.

Sealed and undercoated the bed with POR-15 and undercoating.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Completely restored the frame using POR 15, with a very thick rust & UV resistant tractor implement paint for a topcoat.

Acquired a 94 4x4 4L80E to match the truck (1994) and paired it with the 99 K2500 NP241 floor shift transfer case which matches the 99 chassis driveshafts.

set the bed on it for the time being.

even stored an extra motor on it for a while.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
And then most recently.. (as many of you have followed in the other thread) I've began to rebuild the front suspension. Essentially the goal is for the entire chassis to be rebuilt before the cab swap occurs.

Should be a nice upgrade over the 400k+ mile chassis which quite honestly is wore out. Adding 4x4, shortening up the truck a couple feet, and having a more highway friendly gear ratio of 3:73 rather than 4:10 should make for a nice truck to daily drive.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to do this to my K2500 so bad; a brand new 22 year old truck sounds amazing.

Following this thread, it's not going to help my CCSB want though.
I can't remember if I asked prior to this; are you planning on rebuilding the drivetrain before swapping it in or are you just going to get everything bolted up and run as is?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be farming out those control arms and knuckles out to a powdercoater. Mehbeh even some calipers too. I still want to do that to my dually. Yank control arms and shocks and all off the frame so I can get in and clean and paint it nice.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I want to do this to my K2500 so bad; a brand new 22 year old truck sounds amazing.

Following this thread, it's not going to help my CCSB want though.
I can't remember if I asked prior to this; are you planning on rebuilding the drivetrain before swapping it in or are you just going to get everything bolted up and run as is?

I would love to rebuild everything..... but due to me being on a real world budget (and quite honestly the following items being in good operating condition) the following will be used/re-used.

- Engine: Will be fixing a valve cover gasket leak and replacing the injectors. It runs great, and hasn't given me any issues so i have no reason to mess with it too much. I have a lot of confidence in it. The mechanical injection is super reliable and it's been a great runner.

- Transmission: Shortly after i bought the chassis, i bought a used 94 4wd 4L80e in good condition from a friend. Truck had 140k on it, not sure about the trans. He verified that it ran good, and i didn't pay very much for it so i'll change the filter/fluid and run it.

- Transfer Case: The chassis had about 250k on it... i also got the transfer case and drive shafts with it.. I've seen trucks with far superior mileage have OEM transfer cases and no problems, so I'll put new fluid in it and run it.

- Rear Axle: My current axle is a rust free 14 bolt 4:10 full floater, after struggling to find a good not rusty 3:73 axle i'll probably just have this one re-geared. I truly think the old 14 bolt with 407k miles will be the least of my worries.

Everything i have now, or have acquired is in good working condition. I'd like to say i can get another 100k out of the motor... I feel like the transmission and transfer case will at least make it that far. I don't run things very hard.

And when the powertrain does need an overhaul, honestly i don't know what will be next...

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
- Rear Axle: My current axle is a rust free 14 bolt 4:10 full floater, after struggling to find a good not rusty 3:73 axle i'll probably just have this one re-geared. I truly think the old 14 bolt with 407k miles will be the least of my worries..

Is the rust that big a deal? Can't you just get an axle blasted, and then paint it? The 14 bolt is a really good axle, but I'd be a bit leery of 407K miles... or will you be getting bearings replaced when you regear?