1994 5.7 factory manifolds or shorty headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indexcow

Reaction score
Discovered a broken manifold today on my 94 5.7

Should I go with factory style manifolds or is there a good set of headers that are carb compliant that you guys would recommend instead? I’m in California

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I go with factory style manifolds or is there a good set of headers that are carb compliant that you guys would recommend instead? I’m in California
Summit Racing G9015 headers have A.I.R. ports and are CARB EO compliant.

www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9015

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Summit headers are carb compliant. I have used a couple of sets with good luck.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I have the summit ones on my 96. Fit right up to factory y pipe great. Just get a good quality gasket. The ones that came with it burnt out in less than 100 miles. Also I run the summit ceramic shorties on my 98. No leaks so far. Changing your plugs will be a real pain though. I'm runnin accel shorty plugs and bought an SLP spark plug socket that was made for the old LT1s in the 90s. I also welded the egr Ports on the 96 and ran 95 headers for headers on my 98 since I deleted egr.

indexcow

Reaction score
How do you guys go about removing the temporary paint and getting proper high temp paint on them? Or do I even need to worry about painting them?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Don't expect a big improvement in power with shorty headers. I think the bigger gain is getting a GOOD Y-pipe and high-flow catalyst rather than mediocre headers.

2. If you buy stainless or pre-coated headers, you don't need to be concerned with the paint. Or ship the headers to a coating company.

indexcow

Reaction score
That’s good to know, I’m not looking for gainz but since I need to buy new manifolds anyways I was seeing if it’s worth it to go with headers. At this point I’m leaning towards a set of dorman manifolds

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s good to know, I’m not looking for gainz but since I need to buy new manifolds anyways I was seeing if it’s worth it to go with headers. At this point I’m leaning towards a set of dorman manifolds

At one point I put inexpensive replacement manifolds from rock auto on mine, and they worked fine.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys go about removing the temporary paint and getting proper high temp paint on them? Or do I even need to worry about painting them?
I didn't bother with mine and they're just fine after 4+ years living in the desert. I recently wrapped them to help keep heat out of the engine bay, and help prevent melting the wires, we'll see how well they hold up. I'm using Mr Gasket copper gaskets on mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought cheap headers and tried to clean the paint off them. I think the only way to really clean them is to use a media blaster. I used some ceramic header paint, and it hasn't held up. HPC is across town from me, so next time I'll probably just take my headers to them for stripping and coating.