1990 GMC K1500 5.7 Cam Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have my stepside all ripped apart right now getting the frame ready for POR15 bath and im just wondering while i have my 350 TBI out of it and i was going to do head gaskets; intake gasket pan gaskets; timing set; check the lower bearings while i was at it I figured while i was at it maybe i would throw in a cam to help liven it up a bit. i have been reading everywhere and thinking either and RV cam for those 350's but i also have read about a LT1 cam? i believe anyways just wondering what would be the best way to go; mostly keeping my engine stock, will have aftermarket exhaust, willing to get a chip as well as long as you guys can point me in the right direction.

The truck has 3.73 stock ratio right now and plan to keep it that way its only a weekend hunting truck and causual driving rig that my wife can also drive

thanks for any and all the help,
Mike

mykytiuk

Reaction score
Personally I would recommend an Edlebrock Performer cam. I used one of these on a carbureted ‘86 350 and made a quite noticeable difference. With a TBI it is supposed to be the biggest one without chipping. You can email tbichips.com/Harris Performance for a more detailed answer to your question.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. It's pointless to stuff in a cam and NOT install an OEM-style roller cam/lifter system. The retrofit kits are not hugely expensive, and you could get used parts practically for free if you look around a bit.

2. The OEM cam is so utterly mild that pretty-much anything is a step up. I'm hoping to get by with a stock Vortec cam; engine should fire sometime this week if I can get the intake manifold/EGR problems solved.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting in a new cam on old cam bearings.you don't do that.everything is worn in the drive train.cam.lifters.rings and bearings.then you got the wear of the valves and rockers.valve guide seals.

Rebuild the motor.or do nothing at all.new pistons and piston pins.keep the engine stock.mellon oil pump.

If there is a stock RV cam put that in.but the only other things.if it's TBI.put a kit in the TBI and install a new base gasket.headers and duel exhaust.would be good

My 1886.it has a old school 454v8.headers and edleblock 650 carb.and bigger air breather.no electric fuel pump or computer.HEI distributor.edlebrock intake.