1990 GMC K1500 4.3l tbi to 305 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2eb74aac-dc01-41da-ad80-cb7404ca6724-jpeg.213257

For the record, ^^^ that is really dangerous. You got by, the engine is in...but evil things could have happened.

ALWAYS run a long (3" is fine) bolt with nut and washers through the chain, so that the hook from the crane is "captured". If the engine is un-balanced and the chain isn't bolted around the hook, the unbalanced weight can cause the chain to slide through the hook until you hit the end of the chain where it bolts to the engine. It's easy enough to tilt the engine to whatever angle works best, by moving the bolt one link at a time on the chain.

I don't have a good photo to show what I mean. Best I can readily come up with is this one:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
2eb74aac-dc01-41da-ad80-cb7404ca6724-jpeg.213257

For the record, ^^^ that is really dangerous. You got by, the engine is in...but evil things could have happened.

ALWAYS run a long (3" is fine) bolt with nut and washers through the chain, so that the hook from the crane is "captured". If the engine is un-balanced and the chain isn't bolted around the hook, the unbalanced weight can cause the chain to slide through the hook until you hit the end of the chain where it bolts to the engine. It's easy enough to tilt the engine to whatever angle works best, by moving the bolt one link at a time on the chain.

I don't have a good photo to show what I mean. Best I can readily come up with is this one:
You must be registered for see images attach
I realized that before I put the engine in. I made a couple of pieces out of 1/4” steel and drilled holes in each end to run bolts through the chain for a previous engine swap I had done on a dodge. I had took that picture before I had installed it, I realize the dangers and I managed to correct myself before anything bad happened.