1990 454 exhaust manifold replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProFarm

Reaction score
I need to replace my exhaust manifolds on my 1900 454ss. I am looking at the doorman manifolds at summit. They come with gaskets, but are gaskets necessary since they didnt use them from the factory? TIA

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The service manual for my 1990 doesn't show any gaskets, but with the reputation of Dorman, I'd be willing to bet that the mating surface isnt a factory fit. I'd use the gaskets if it were me.

Duvall

Reaction score
I second the remark of using some sort of gasket. Im not sure of the quality of the Doorman gaskets. May want to get a set of Fel-Pro or similar quality.

ProFarm

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I’m afraid of. I dont want to go with headers because i want to stay as close to stock as i can. I wanted to replace them because the studs on the flanges are so rusted there is no way i can get the remainder of the stud out…is there a con with using gaskets? Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EVERY Dorman exhaust manifold I've purchased--four of 'em, so far--has had piss-poor casting, rough machining, and the gasket flange has been at the maximum allowable warpage--or more.

Photo 1. Trailblazer exhaust manifold gasket surface--terrible rough machining, plus bonus casting flaw.
You must be registered for see images attach

Photo 2. Dorman "427 Corvette" exhaust manifold with cast-iron din_gle berry inside port. (Note--forum software won't let me post "din-gle" as one continuous set of letters. Fookin' censors.)

I'm told that the Dorman manifolds that are cast in China (like the ones I bought) are actually better than the ones cast in Viet Nam. Holy crap, those must be TERRIBLE.

EXPECT to haul your "new" manifold(s) to a machine shop to get the flange acceptably flat. When I had my guy do mine, he puts them in his parts-cleaning oven for a few days, so they heat cycle a few times before getting machined.

ONCE YOU GET THEM FLAT AND SMOOTH, yes, avoid using gaskets.

ProFarm

Reaction score
EVERY Dorman exhaust manifold I've purchased--four of 'em, so far--has had piss-poor casting, rough machining, and the gasket flange has been at the maximum allowable warpage--or more.

Photo 1. Trailblazer exhaust manifold gasket surface--terrible rough machining, plus bonus casting flaw.

Photo 2. Dorman "427 Corvette" exhaust manifold with cast-iron din_gle berry inside port. (Note--forum software won't let me post "din-gle" as one continuous set of letters. Fookin' censors.)

I'm told that the Dorman manifolds that are cast in China (like the ones I bought) are actually better than the ones cast in Viet Nam. Holy crap, those must be TERRIBLE.

EXPECT to haul your "new" manifold(s) to a machine shop to get the flange acceptably flat. When I had my guy do mine, he puts them in his parts-cleaning oven for a few days, so they heat cycle a few times before getting machined.

ONCE YOU GET THEM FLAT AND SMOOTH, yes, avoid using gaskets.
Wow thanks

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I’m afraid of. I dont want to go with headers because i want to stay as close to stock as i can. I wanted to replace them because the studs on the flanges are so rusted there is no way i can get the remainder of the stud out…is there a con with using gaskets? Thanks

Wait what? The studs are rusted.... so why are you trying to replace the manifolds?

ProFarm

Reaction score
Wait what? The studs are rusted.... so why are you trying to replace the manifolds?
there is no way (with the tools and know how i have) I can remove the remainder of the flange studs from the flange holes. I assume they are threaded...