1967 Dodge D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep, anywhere around Austin is that way. My aunt used to live in Cedar Creek, out from Bastrop, and it's getting that way too. Lexington and Giddings, not so much yet, but it'll eventually happen. My cousin loves it there, Lee County only has 16,000 population. But he grew up watching Austin get huge. When his parents bought their house in south Austin in 1959 when they married, it was practically the edge of town. I know a bunch of music people up there who could tell similar stories, about being priced outta town....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I spy with my little eye an El Camino? Or Caballero? Or Sprint?
Disco Camino or Caballero, IIRC the Sprint was the 73-77 but I'm not entirely sure! We came pretty close to getting a Caballero back in the late 70s, for the parts store. Ended up getting another pickup because it was cheaper by like $3K....in 79-80 that was some bux!
Then all these years later, I got a Burb for that. Actually the 79 only cost $1500, running and everything!
Sorry for going off the rails on the way back machine!

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I spy with my little eye an El Camino? Or Caballero? Or Sprint?

Good eye. It was an El Camino. I don't have any actual pics of it though.

It's funny you can see through it because the drive out there I was struggling to see through all the dirt on the windshield. I forgot to clean it off yesterday.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Disco Camino or Caballero, IIRC the Sprint was the 73-77 but I'm not entirely sure! We came pretty close to getting a Caballero back in the late 70s, for the parts store. Ended up getting another pickup because it was cheaper by like $3K....in 79-80 that was some bux!
Then all these years later, I got a Burb for that. Actually the 79 only cost $1500, running and everything!
Sorry for going off the rails on the way back machine!
My wife's family has had one since 1989. Fully loaded too, I helped put in 80s Cadillac Seville seats in it. 4.4 V8 and a 4 speed manual IIRC.

Good eye. It was an El Camino. I don't have any actual pics of it though.

It's funny you can see through it because the drive out there I was struggling to see through all the dirt on the windshield. I forgot to clean it off yesterday.
I see stuff from too far away all the time. It's the hunter in my eye, I can see deer from 500+ feet away. I can see cars sitting from way off the road.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tore into the motor some more this morning, so I got to do some motor investigation.

It appears this thing has been rebuilt before. The rods caps have some numbers I can't figure out stamped on them and markings which I haven't seen on a factory bottom end before. The numbers are 2 sets of 3 digits. It appears the second set is all "313" and the front set always ends in 4. It appears the front sets are 024, 054, 074, 144. I can't read the other 4 stampings because of how they are set in the block.

Issues noted:

First lifter was flat spotted.

Found one spot in a bore that isn't perfect, but probably would be ok to send it. I think it was already there before it was honed for the previous rebuild.

Couple of the rod bearings were looser than the others. I wouldn't call them loose, but I was able to move them with some effort.

The front cam bearing isn't smooth at all. Looks like it wasn't put in properly and got mangled/gouged in the process.

I think I have to fully open her up now, but I'm still tempted to just slap the cam in and not look a gift horse in the mouth. It's not a daily driver that I depend on.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So closer inspection, I think the movement I am feeling on the rods is lateral and not vertical. I think they're ok.

I hosed it down with brake clean and it looks like the cam bearings have some "squiggles" that are either manufactured in them or done intentionally. Maybe this is for oiling or something.

I think the lifter failure is because they re-used the trays. They weren't holding on to the lifters when I pulled them and probably allowed them to twist.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the lifter failure is because they re-used the trays. They weren't holding on to the lifters when I pulled them and probably allowed them to twist.
How does the cam look, hopefully not like this Mopar Hemi?

The lifters look similar

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the cam look, hopefully not like this Mopar Hemi?

The lifters look similar

It's not as bad. The peak is worn down and rough but the lobe is still there. It might have even been opening a bit.