12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, my head hurts after reading all 43 pages of this thread.

The article that Jeff referenced here; http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html is really quite informative on how to get this done.

Here is my question to all those who understand this swap: I recently did a complete rebuild of my 7.4. The only deviation from stock I did was to bore it .30 over. Everything else I replaced was stock, aside from the .30 over pistons. I'm not looking for a race engine, or torque up the wazoo. I would like to drop Passlock, rear O2, EGR, Update tire size, maybe a few other minimal things. Is it worth my time and expense to do the 411 swap, or just have my black box tuned to remove what I don't want?

From what I gathered reading all these posts, I don't really need the added benefits of the 411. I just need a simple Black Bear type tuning on my black box. Am I right?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The article that Jeff referenced here; http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html is really quite informative on how to get this done.

Here is my question to all those who understand this swap: I recently did a complete rebuild of my 7.4. The only deviation from stock I did was to bore it .30 over. Everything else I replaced was stock, aside from the .30 over pistons. I'm not looking for a race engine, or torque up the wazoo. I would like to drop Passlock, rear O2, EGR, Update tire size, maybe a few other minimal things. Is it worth my time and expense to do the 411 swap, or just have my black box tuned to remove what I don't want?

From what I gathered reading all these posts, I don't really need the added benefits of the 411. I just need a simple Black Bear type tuning on my black box. Am I right?

Yeah the black box will suit you fine for essentially stock. Just have blackbear do some updating to make it better. Change the power enrichment settings, reduce or remove torque management, maybe change transmission settings, and throw a little more timing at it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'd second the black box tune. Black Bear Performance can do everything you listed to the factory black box for around $350 including a spare PCM, with free alterations for life. You just pay shipping.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm looking forward to seeing a difference and making a few other changes after the tune is done. I figured they are the experts, so I'll let them do whatever they think is best for my driving style.

I actually have a spare out of the '97 already. I'll send in my original. I have a 2 week vacation coming up and can do without the Burb then. I also can get the LEO discount, not sure how much that is, but every penny helps!

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me out on the 96 black box to 0411 pcm swap. I just need the pinout conversion and seeing if anyone would have it. I know Lextech has a conversion thats very accurate just wish i can get ahold of him for it. Any help appreciated!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try making an account and messaging him on ls1trucks.com if you haven't already.
I was wondering if someone could help me out on the 96 black box to 0411 pcm swap. I just need the pinout conversion and seeing if anyone would have it. I know Lextech has a conversion thats very accurate just wish i can get ahold of him for it. Any help appreciated!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Allen Booth

Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff
I need 97 4.3L to gen 3
[email protected]