12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lextech

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since we have a new 96 up Vortec subsection, I thought I would make a new post.

The 12200411 PCM can be installed into the 96 to 2000 GMT400 trucks simply by repining the PCM connector terminals. The wiring is slightly different between the 96, 97, and 98 to 2000 trucks. The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous. The swap can be completed in about 2 1/2 hrs and is fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested in the swap just PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy. I will not post the files to the web.

Jeff

draggin95niss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so when i do this is there anyone that i can send the pcm to get tuned so the truck will run and drive so i can take it to a shop to get it dialed in? cuz ill probly never buy efilive or ever get into tuning at all....or if there is anyone in the houston, tx area anyone knows that can do this?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
autocals are awesome....do you use them to do remote logging on customer's vehicles for your tuning? this is a big benefit to the 411 since the blackbox is so sparcely supported, and even when it is, it's a very primative setup with minimal control ability....

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the actual benefits are for doing this mod ...
I have a bone stock (drive train wise) 97 Chevy ...

Thanks, Randal

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the actual benefits are for doing this mod ...
I have a bone stock (drive train wise) 97 Chevy ...

Thanks, Randal

The benefits are briefly discussed in the first post:

The 0411 PCM has a much faster processor than the Black Box PCM and has dual timing tables. There is also more support from the tuning software companies for the 0411. EFILive and HPTuners both offer "Custom Operating Systems" for the 0411 to support boost and or nitrous.

beyond that, the 411 has higher resolution tables for vital things like VE, MAF, and spark, which allows more precise control, and also can be made to support many many different and custom setups. also the upper RPM limiter of 5800RPM that is hardwired into the blackbox (regardless of tuning) can be surpassed with the 411...

if I were to sum up the benefits of the 411 in 2 words, it would be, "more control". if you're stock, or near stock as far as the powertrain is concerned, then the benefits will likely not be too earth-shattering, people in those situations have stated that they get a more stable or 'smooth' idle, but beyond that will depend on thier tune (and tuner). if you plan on staying stock or near stock, then honestly, the benefits may not be worth it to you. however if you plan on doing upgrades, or getting into tuning yourself, then the benefits are very substantial, ESPECIALLY if you ever look at going with forced induction, or custom engine/trans setups.

Depending on who you have tune the 411 if you go with a mail order tuner, they may prefer tuning the 411 vs the blackbox, for the benefit of things like autocals, etc. but again, those benefits on a stock setup will depend on your tuner.

With all my modifications, I can honestly say that the 411 and getting EFILive for myself have been the 2 best things that I've done on the truck....and that includes when I had a blower, and it'll continue to be true after I build my forged 383 with twin turbos...

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With all my modifications, I can honestly say that the 411 and getting EFILive for myself have been the 2 best things that I've done on the truck....and that includes when I had a blower, and it'll continue to be true after I build my forged 383 with twin turbos...
This is the truth.

Yup we have been using the AUTOCAL for remote datalogging, very useful tool.