ZZ383 Fast Burn Heads/Cam/ValveTrain...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals...

In my search for more power, the local shop I deal with has a good set of fast burn heads, cam & valve train.. My 383 (9-7-1) currently has stock vortec heads with .308 comp cam & Edlebrock AVS2 Carb. I use the truck for towing... I'm not happy with the power/torque output.. 255rwhp/330rwtq at 3500rpm on the dyno...

So for that set up he has offered to sell/install it for 3k.. (keep in my mind I'm Canada!!!) he wanted 2k for the parts & 1k to install. (I'm not here to talk about price as in the states you get it all wayyy cheaper!)

I've read that the FastBurn Heads are good.. I've tried to read bout the E-Tec heads as well which seem solid...

I use the truck for towing so I want TQ but defiantly want more HP.. this 383 should put out more than it does...

Shoot me all your thoughts & advice..

Thanks...

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2k for those heads/cam is astronomical, even in Canada. Ive heard they are good heads tho. I’d check around first.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will definitely lose some low rpm torque but gain HP with those Fastburn Heads.

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You wont notice hardly any low end loss. It will be a noticeable increase but they are only good for a about 40hp. For that price, ide buy a set of afr heads and have them shipped across the border. Way more bang for your buck. For the cost of that, ide be looking at a supercharger for not much more money. Thats bolt on 100hp and easily 150ft lbs literally everywhere in the rpm range.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You wont notice hardly any low end loss. It will be a noticeable increase but they are only good for a about 40hp. For that price, ide buy a set of afr heads and have them shipped across the border. Way more bang for your buck. For the cost of that, ide be looking at a supercharger for not much more money. Thats bolt on 100hp and easily 150ft lbs literally everywhere in the rpm range.

Since he is running a carb the Edelbrock E-Force for a Vortec head small block would be my personal choice.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1552

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals...

In my search for more power, the local shop I deal with has a good set of fast burn heads, cam & valve train...

...So for that set up he has offered to sell/install it for 3k.. (keep in my mind I'm Canada!!!) he wanted 2k for the parts & 1k to install.
WHAT CAM?

WHAT "VALVETRAIN"?

HOW MUCH "TUNING" are they going to do?

The Fastburn heads are supposed to be quite good, for MILD performance. An excellent "street" head. They're not a "high-RPM" huge-port unit.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well from what he told me (gave me part numbers) all OEM heads, cam, & valves ect...I don’t run high rpm.. I tow with 4.56 gears & main rpm towing is 3-3500rpm...

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well dropped the truck off. The heads & cam getting installed. Going with A/C delete as well. Once she’s done I’ll post up pics & dyno numbers.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a dyno sheet in hand the torque peak/curve would have been evident. If the cam in there peaked 3.5k which would be near perfect for what you're doing and the new peaks at 4.5k you just went the wrong direction for your gearing and your main concern that seems to be towing.

If you factor drivetrain losses for the chassis dyno it wasn't doing terrible for a mild 383.