Wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan_Hale

Reaction score
Have you verified that the engine is not locked up? With 12 volts to the starter solenoid, turn the key to run position and then jump across the solenoid battery terminal and the small terminal. The engine should turn over, even if not starting. Hell, even with the key off it will spin.
yes it turns over when i jump the starter but i can’t jump the starter for long enough without it sparking a lot

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sparks where? Be specific. When it starts to turn over, sometimes when you are crossing the posts, it vibrates or surprises the person doing the jump and they pull back a little and can spark at the posts or when reattach or press to complete the connection and will spark. Is that where you are saying it is sparking?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"Vibrates and stuff like that". I am confused. You are saying the solenoid vibrates mounted to the starter? The starter vibrates mounted to the engine? The whole assembly vibrates while engine is spinning. An inexpensive "jumping tool" is this:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just attach each clip at the two posts and press the button. Parts stores usually have them.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it turns over when you jump the solenoid but not when you turn the key you need to determine where the connection is breaking down - ignition switch (no power to start terminal), or the wire from the switch to the starter (could be the terminal on the starter solenoid).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a problem with your connections not being clean and tight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If it turns over when you jump the solenoid but not when you turn the key you need to determine where the connection is breaking down - ignition switch (no power to start terminal), or the wire from the switch to the starter (could be the terminal on the starter solenoid).
Don't forget the 5A crank fuse in the dash fuse block.

beedubleyew

Reaction score
I have a 96 k2500 that i recently bought and was driving and now it wont start. there’s no power going to the starter or relay but it will light up my dash, i’ve tried switching the starter relay. The only other thing i could think of is the ground strap that goes from the back of the passenger side head to the frame, might be a stupid question but does that need to be connected to start the truck?
yes. fix the grounds and check for loose connections at battery and starter.

jhornsby3

Reaction score
Almost sounds like a bad exciter wire and a bad battery. Just went through the same issue with one of my boat engines. A 1992 (GM)5.7l V8. Exciter wire was run in a bad location when the starter had been replaced before I bought it, causing the wire to rub and break. Along with a battery with dead cells and I had the same exact issue.