Wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan_Hale

Reaction score
I have a 96 k2500 that i recently bought and was driving and now it wont start. there’s no power going to the starter or relay but it will light up my dash, i’ve tried switching the starter relay. The only other thing i could think of is the ground strap that goes from the back of the passenger side head to the frame, might be a stupid question but does that need to be connected to start the truck?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

All ground straps should be connected. I know you said the dash lights up but the starter takes more to turn over the engine. Have you tried jump starting it? Have you checked for loose or dirty connections? How old is the battery? May have a bad starter. Tap on the starter body with a dead blow hammer or a regular ball peen and see if cranks over. What voltage do you have at the battery? Do you have a DVOM? Be aware that connections at the battery could be clean and tight but corrosion builds up under the cable insulation next to the cable ends. Check for 12 volts at the battery cable at the starter. I could go on and on....Basics first....

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It " doesn't start " , vague ,tells us nothing.
What do you do and what happens. Turn key to start. 1. Nothing happens. 2. A click. 3. Turns over , not starting. 4 Turns over, runs, then stops.
You get the idea. :waytogo:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It " doesn't start " , vague ,tells us nothing.
What do you do and what happens. Turn key to start. 1. Nothing happens. 2. A click. 3. Turns over , not starting. 4 Turns over, runs, then stops.
You get the idea. :waytogo:
I hate assuming but he said, no power going to starter, so I wrongfully ASSUMED no cranking. I had a 50%/50% shot at it.

Logan_Hale

Reaction score
Alright i heard you guys saying you need more so it doesn’t crank but it clicks on the right side of the dash when i turn the key.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That clicking you are hearing is the starter solenoid and I would bet the field coils are swollen up and the armature is dragging. May start with a hammer tap. Needs starter.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have cleaned your battery terminals? Not just the battery but also the cables. You may want to check the ground(-)cable where it is bolted to the engine. Hold the key in the start position for about 5sec. then immediately get out and run your hands along the cables and feel for hot spots. A bad cable will get hot at the point where the conductor is deteriorating inside.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you verified that the engine is not locked up? With 12 volts to the starter solenoid, turn the key to run position and then jump across the solenoid battery terminal and the small terminal. The engine should turn over, even if not starting. Hell, even with the key off it will spin.