No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
My 98 k1500.
Swapped out trans.
Only electronics disconnected were battery and trans harness.
Starter relay clicks
Starter can be jumped with screwdriver but won't kick to flywheel.
Pulled fuse for engine and fuel pump kicks on.
I've checked all grounds I can find. Ginna check NSS later today when I make it home. What should next step be?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the starter and test it on the bench.

I had a truck once that I drove to a yard to pick up an engine. Once loaded it would not crank. Found the main wire from the B+ terminal going into the starter armature was corroded into dust.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score

I had a truck once that I drove to a yard to pick up an engine. Once loaded it would not crank. Found the main wire from the B+ terminal going into the starter armature was corroded into dust.
What sucks is we had it off and the nuts came off perfectly. One of those rare moments. Guess since it's the smaller starter it'll be easier.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score

Update. Terminals were a Lil corroded and battery end had Lil bit of melted plastic. Thanks for the heads up. Glad it wasn't a broken wire somewhere.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Melted plastic means heat, possibly from a lot of resistance at a poor connection.

With the terminals cleaned up does it work?
It was from couple years ago. Positive cable would get loose once in while. Thought I'd fixed it by stripping off the plastic and using a bolt n nut to anchor it to battery. Guess I didn't get it all off n it just happened to be enuff to keep it from makin full contact. Scraped n sanded rest of it off n it's good to go now. Gotta reset distributor at some point today n should be ready to roll.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chapdog97