Windshield Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ingrammc

Reaction score
Not sure why this bugs me but it does. the Wipers for My 98 Silverado are 18" the windshield is much larger and the lower part of the windshield stays pretty murky while driving. Has anyone done Mods to the wipers? After just looking at it I believe that if i could get wiper Arms 1" shorter or more I could increase the wiper blade size to 20" has any one tried this or thought of it before?

This is my first post so lets hope this thread gets me to 50 so I can level up my membership. I would hate to get people started on another thread about RKE (Keyless entry), but I am willing to do it to get to 50.

Respectfully,
Mark

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I use 19". They reach to the top of the glass without touching the roof/body.
There's guys here that have cut the arms to run the 20's. IIRC, there is a bit more to the mod than just shortening the arm. Something to do with the spring? Not sure.

ingrammc

Reaction score
There's guys here that have cut the arms to run the 20's.

would love to see this thread if you can find it, I can not. My fix would be a little simpler find a car or truck with shorter arms and use them. I believe the Spur on the Wiper motor is pretty universal. might be a difference between SAE and Metric...Maybe even Metric Europe and Metric Asian but I think I can find something. the reason I dont feel comfortable cutting it is the bent hook at the end of most Arms for sliding on the Blades.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The reason I don't feel comfortable cutting it is the bent hook at the end of most Arms for sliding on the Blades.

IIRC, the shortening of the arm is done by removing the rivets where the flat rod (with the hook) is attached to the stamped lower 1/2. The shortening is done at the end without the hook. Requires drilling a new hole for one of the rivets.
Seems to me, & I could be wrong, it may of been Great White that did the mod.
Only problem with that is that he went all scorched earth & deleted 97% of his posts when he left the forum, (insert sound of crying child here >>> X) which was too bad because he was a pretty smart techno-geek kinda guy.

ingrammc

Reaction score
IIRC, the shortening of the arm is done by removing the rivets where the flat rod (with the hook) is attached to the stamped lower 1/2. The shortening is done at the end without the hook. Requires drilling a new hole for one of the rivets.
Seems to me, & I could be wrong, it may of been Great White that did the mod.
Only problem with that is that he went all scorched earth & deleted 97% of his posts when he left the forum, (insert sound of crying child here >>> X) which was too bad because he was a pretty smart techno-geek kinda guy.

Thanks! you know I did not even look at it that way. Makes perfect sense now that you pointed it out. This is great, this mod is going to cost me like Zero dollars.